Please... show portraits made with the 35-100/2.8

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by DHart, Jun 4, 2013.

1. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I would be most grateful if you folks with the 35-100 would show us how well the lens can do portraits, particularly those done at 100mm and f2.8.

Something tells me the lens would make an awesome portrait lens, used this way, but I don't have one myself, yet, to put it through its paces.

So please, if you would, let's see what this lens can do as a portrait lens! :smile:

2. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    Here's a quick one from a recent vacation:

8906716151_efaaac1535_b.
    20130519-ADAM2961.jpg by ill_dawg, on Flickr

Just a quick snap from across the table in a cafe, 100/2.8, 1/100.

Hth

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk HD

3. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    ill dawg.... thank you! Beautiful subject and this shows the isolation (in the small amount of background that is visible) pretty well. Looks like depth of field at this distance and settings is about 1.5". Nice. Great color, skin tone, and clarity. (And she sure looks like she's loving that vacation time! Nice.)

4. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Good idea, Don! I'm interested in seeing these too thanks!

5. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
  6. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    You're welcome Don. They were mostly taken at f2.8 and varying focal lengths. The detail recorded by this lens on the EM5 is wonderful. Coming from the Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS the weight difference is another major plus point!

7. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    I just got this last week and shot a bellydancing event in midday light. I took this shot just out of same curiosity. OOC The other is 100mm 4.5.

8. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    My standard of reference for outdoor portraiture, from years of daily use, is the 5DMkII with the 70-200 f/2.8 L-IS, mostly shot @ 200mm and f/2.8.

Having retired from the business almost two years ago, my Canon gear is (mostly) all gone. During four years of using m4/3 gear, the first two years the kit served as a "personal trial" kit for me. And the last two years, the m4/3 kit has evolved into a two-year "go-to" system.

I really do appreciate the smaller size and lighter weight... AND, we've come to the point of having a wonderfully mature "system" with an almost-complete array of great lenses.

So, it's great to see that the 35-100/2.8 on a GH3 or an E-M5 can step up to the plate and pull off a reasonably good job of filling the shoes of a FF 5D with 70-200... for this kind of portrait work!

Excellent and thanks, again.

9. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    I now use my u4/3 kit for virtually all of my professional assignments. When I purchased it last year my thinking was for a competent and versatile personal use system, which wouldn't place additional strain on my body. I was very pleasantly surprised, and I don't feel disadvantaged in leaving all my pro kit (Canon 5D MkIII bodies and L lenses) at home when I head off to a portrait assignment. These days my assistant tends to use my DSLRs, but even he is starting to complain about the weight and is wanting to use the EM5 instead.

I always have the PL25 f1.4 in the bag as well.

10. Bart V

Bart V New to Mu-43

Jun 5, 2013
    Dear Don,
    Some photos I took on a 4-night trip to Istanbul last week, not all are taking at 100mm. I am new on this forum and English is not my native language. Enjoy this forum and my camera.
    Bart Istanbul21. Istanbul15. Istanbul08. Istanbul06. Istanbul05. Istanbul23.

11. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Bart... I'm thrilled to be the first one to welcome you to the forum! And in addition, to commend you on the fantastic work you have presented here! Great images, expressions, image quality. What you have done shows the capability of this lens (and your skills with a camera) magnificently. I look forward to seeing more of your work on the forum.

How can I resist adding it to my kit after seeing your images with it, as well as the awesome images that others on the forum have made with the lens. It is the perfect completion of what I would say is my "Holy Trinity" of zoom-lenses for this wonderful m4/3 format: 7-14, 12-35, and 35-100.

12. Bart V

Bart V New to Mu-43

Jun 5, 2013
    Don, I am glad you are the first to welcome me. It is a lovely lens. Thank you for the compliments, many more pictures in other post (travel).
    Bart

13. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Have to agree wiyh Don on your photos, Bart. Great stuff and welcome!

Don, your "holy trinity" comment pretty much touches why I have gone this route. I had an ultrawide 11-16mm Tokina, a Nikon 16-35, and a nikon 70-200mm VR and that was my core kit on DX and I shared the two FX lenses on my N80 film camera as well but I really stopped shooting any film.

So now with the 3 lenses you mentioned I feel like I am "there" again only SMALLER.

14. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    John... as I memtioned somewhere else on the forum, if a photographer can't create some amazing images under most circumstances with just those three lenses, then he/she needs to work on skills and/or creativity. I could live with those three... but maybe add in the 17/1.8. And the 25/1.4 as well. Wouldn"t want to leave out the 75. And, of course while we're at it... the 9-18. And of course the 20. Can't forget the.... well, you get the picture! :biggrin:

15. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    STOP!!! You're making my wallet hurt...

Seriously, the first two you mentioned I'm keeping (17 and 25). So it will be those 5 lenses except for the "legacy" lenses on my two "collector" cameras -- an E-P1 and a G1.

16. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    ....and why stop there, you KNOW you're going to NEED the Pana 43mm f1.2 when that gets released.

Sorry John ;)

17. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    [tries very hard not to think evil thoughts...and fails...]

18. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    One of my first shots with the 35-100mm. This was at work in a horrible mix of daylight and gas discharge lighting at ISO-3200. Hence the black and white, lol. This was the GX1 and the 35-100mm.

My buddy Kenny that you see here is an excellent photographer and you can find his stuff at Ken Schuler Photography

8973549624_762d7312a0_b.
    Kenny by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

19. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Wonderful image, John... great separation from BG too.