1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Please share your E-P3 settings

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by awatahurm, Oct 13, 2011.

1. awatahurm

awatahurm Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2011
    One of the cool things about the e-p3 is the numerous customization options.
    Unfortunately, I don't know enough about photography to fully take advantage of them.
    So far I've shut off the focus beep and instant photo preview. And I've set the maximum auto ISO to 800. Everything else remains at factory settings.

I'm currently reading Michael Freeman's Perfect Exposure and have been experimenting with different metering settings, but I keep coming back to the factory settings (except for very specific low light, high contrast situations where "SHadow Spot Metering" gives a cool effect).

I'd like to know how other forum members use the settings. Especially if there is a basic setup that you use for most situations.

2. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I'm yet to buy an E-P3 but I'm getting close! Assuming it behaves pretty much like other Olympus cameras I've owned the first thing I will do is make sure auto gradation is turned off. Unless I have a specific reason not to I select evaluative metering and auto WB, both of which I find to be very accurate. For JPEGs I turn the noise filter off (but leave noise reduction on), set colour to "normal," contrast 0, sharpening -2.

Auto ISO will be set for the full range; it's usually in poor light that I use this feature in conjuction with manual exposure. By setting maximum aperture for the lens and the minimum shutter speed I'm prepared to shoot it keeps the ISO as low as possible anyway. I'd rather get a noisy image I can work on later than a blurred one I can do nothing with.

Everything else I set pretty much according to the subject; I find the Super Control Panel very fast and logical to use. I will customize the buttons after studying the options when I get it. Soon, I hope! :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  3. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
  4. Aniseedvan

Aniseedvan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Northants,uk
    This is very helpful for someone who hates reading camera manuals!
    Will sharpening -2 turn it off? I'm happy to push all mine through nik sharpen in photoshop (I'm still waiting to persuade hubby to buy Lightroom 3 through his university work!)

5. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i forget what the number is, but the upper back changeable button i have set to turn off the lcd, so i can use just the vf1 for framing and save some battery, as i also have the camera set to as much DONT SAVE POWER as possible, cause i hate waiting to take a shot
    ive got spare batteries, not moments! lol
    plus i suck, so i need all the moments i can get!!! :D

6. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    • Like Like x 2
  7. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    You'll get a wide range of different answers because everyone has different ideas about what makes a good looking picture. For example, on my E-PL1 for landscape jpeg photos in good light with the kit lens I use A mode and the set it at F8.0 to help get sharp images. I use the Vivid setting and I set White Balance to Auto but -2 on the Amber side and +2 on the green side to make the colors look more natural. I turn both noise reduction and noise filter off and set the ISO to the lowest setting possible so the images have maximum detail. I select the super fine jpeg setting. I set Contrast, Sharpness and Saturation to zero. Shutter speeds tend to be on the slow side at the above settings, so if pictures look blurry due to partly cloudy or cloudy weather I will set the apeture to a lower number like 4.0 and if that doesn't fully work then I also set the ISO to a higher number. You may also have to adjust the exposure compensation to suit your taste.

• Like Like x 1
  8. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I always think it's worth leaving Noise Reduction on. It's not a noise filter in the usual sense and only activates at very slow shutter speeds when you would be using a tripod anyway. What it does is remove noise caused by a long exposure, rather than high ISO. It does this by dark frame subtraction, where the camera basically makes two exposures - the first as normal and the second with the shutter closed. The noise pattern from this second "dark frame" is then measured and subtracted from the original exposure. At "normal" shutter speeds it doesn't activate so is not an issue. :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  9. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Sharpening set at -2 will not turn it off completely but reduces it to the minimum level. I prefer to add the level of sharpening I want when processing.

• Like Like x 1
  10. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Just dropping into this thread - Where would I find this setting and what does it do? Thanks

11. awatahurm

awatahurm Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2011
    Thanks for this helpful post.
    I have a stupid newb question however.
    What is the benefit/purpose of ISO bracketing?