please school me on fps!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by genesimmons, May 14, 2017.

1. genesimmons

genesimmons Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2017
    ok i am a bit confused on the whole fps. the em1.2 states 18fps on low burst and 60fps on silent shutter. i am using the 12-100 pro so i assume that lens should keep up to the body. i did a burst on both settings, low burst and high burst silent shutter, in low for holding shutter down for 2 seconds it only shot 8fps and in high silent only shot about 18 fps. i looked at the images in camera and looked at the time stamp on them, 18fps from one second to the next second, what shutter speed do i need to maintain to get the speeds claimed, i assume if i am at 1/20 or say 1/4 theres no way to achieve high speeds, is 1/60 min to achieve 60fps?

2. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    There are multiple things in play here
    Mechanical shutter
    Electronic shutter
    Continuous Low
    Continuous High
    CLow can autofocus for each frame
    Chigh locks focus at start
    Mech shutter does 10fps max for CLow and 15 fps for CHigh
    Eshutter does upto 18fps for CLow and upto 60fps for CHigh

Each of these options has configurable max speeds in the firmware that can impact the speeds
    60fps will not be achieved past about 45 frames roughly due to buffer limits
    A slow memory card will cause slowdowns further once you exceed the buffer

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. genesimmons

Feb 12, 2017
    hmmm still very confused then, why on earth have a camera that can do 60 fps but only buffer 45, so 45fps is the max this camera can ever do? the card speed shouldn't matter in my test, i held the shutter down for the couple seconds and all those images would be in the buffer then write as card allows right, my card is a lexar 1000x 150mbs card so that should not be a prob anyways, i have the settings set for max in the menu, i cant seem to achieve even half the fps on any setting the camera claims.

4. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Nope about the 45 number you are confusing max shots versus the frame rate....
    my experience and testing shows the buffer can extend the max frames before slowdown to about 45 RAW files with a 2000x card. I haven't tested against the 1000x version.
    It will buffer at essentially full rate to the limit of the buffer then slow down
    Now I haven't tested the 12-100 but easy enough to do later on when I get home.
    Your numbers are weird and don't feel right and I wonder if there is something else going on....

5. genesimmons

Feb 12, 2017
    yes please do a test on yours and let me know your settings and i will do the exact same and see if they are the same,

6. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    The number of photos that can be buffered also has a lot of variables - so the 45 is ???

What type and size of photos are being buffered, just RAW, or RAW and Jpeg -and if JPEG what size and quality? And the size of each RAW file will also be different.

Quicker than 1/60 shutter speed will be required to get the 60 fps.

Your card might be an issue - the 60-fps was probably based on a card twice the speed of yours. And it seems not all UHS-II cards are created equal. So some cards of the same speeds work better than others.

And then Olympus made the caveat- "Figures for sequential shooting speed are the approximate maximums."

7. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    I clearly stated the 45 was for RAW , maybe I should have said Raw only but as I nearly always shoot raw+JPEG I will need to re-check when I test tonight.
    Card speed will only marginal affect the max count before slowdown except if the card is really slow when using 18fps and above as the buffer fills fast but at slower frame rates card speed is critical.
    All frame rates for all digital cameras are based on frames per second buffered in memory

8. genesimmons

Feb 12, 2017
    ok that all makes sense, i just tried again and i used raw only and shutter 1/100 and high speed in silent mode and held the shutter for 4 seconds and in the images got between 8 and 10 fps, and after i let the shutter go the writing symbol flashed for about 10 seconds after, i am going to down load all my images and format this card in camera and see if that helps, i think theres something wrong if i cant even achieve 10 fps in the fastest mode

9. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    I meant to say one of the best testing methodologies I've used is to actually burst shoot a stopwatch running to 1/100 of 1/1000 accuracy as it's really easy to see exactly when the slowdown occurs and then count the frames backwards

10. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Please see the test methodology above. Just holding the shutter like that is telling you nothing constructive
    Sorry for being blunt on this

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 All-Pro

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Looks like the max testing was on the 12-40 pro as well.
    Bit hard when looking at the specs as they use "*" not footnotes so I gather the "*" applies to everything, someone else may be able to confirm that.

[Pro Capture H] approx. 60 fps with selectable 15, 20, 30, 60 fps
    [Pro Capture L] approx. 18 fps with selectable 1-10, 15, 18 fps
    *When using the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO

OM-D E-M1 Mark II | Olympus

12. Bytesmiths

Bytesmiths Mu-43 Veteran

You're confusing rate with capacity.

What you've said is like saying you have a car capable of going 60 miles per hour, but the fuel tank only holds enough fuel for 45 minutes of driving, therefore your car can only really go 45 miles per hour.

I have not done formal tests, nor have I done long tests, but in playing with Pro Capture on moving cars, it does appear to shoot 60 frames per second for at least 17 shots before pressing the shutter.

80 kilometres per hour (50 mph) is about 22 metres per second, divided by 60 frames per second should show about 40 centimetres (16") of motion per frame. In the 17 frame Pro Capture pre-shot buffer, the car moved about 1.5 car lengths, which seems close to the 6.3 metres that would be expected at 60 frames per second.

So I think something else is going on here to limit your maximum frame rate.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. genesimmons

Feb 12, 2017
    ok well i don't have access to a stop watch which i am sure is more accurate than the clock built in the camera but i would think the built in clock should be some what accurate. not achieving 10fps in the fastest mode possible with a 150mbs card doesn't seem right, i held the shutter down for at least 4 seconds and i got 50 shots, stop watch or not i don't think thats very fast,

14. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    So if the fps with a full buffer of 45 falls to 2 fps then holding the shutter down for 10 seconds will yield a total of approx 65 frames divided by 10 seconds = 6.5fps
    Do you see anything wrong with the maths when we are discussing peak frame rates
    I assume you own a smart phone. They nearly all have a stopwatch to 1/100

15. Bytesmiths

Bytesmiths Mu-43 Veteran

Well, you seem to have some mode or preset limit interfering with maximum rate, because as I pointed out above, I can get 60 fps out of the same camera. I'm using a Lexar 1000x 150MB/s card, same as you.

16. genesimmons

Feb 12, 2017
    ok never thought of the phone, ill try it, yes all the math stated here is crazy confusing, so now your saying a 60fps camera is actually a 6.5 fps camera after the buffer is full?? i paid a ton for this camera and a lot of the 150mbs card and in the fastest mode i see 8-10fps just wondering if thats normal.

17. genesimmons

Feb 12, 2017
    ok just formatted the card in camera, in high speed silent, using phone stop watch 9 fps then high speed mech, same 9fps in low speed silent 6fps and low mech 3fps, not sure how to post my findings, in setting menu for low and high it says frame limiter, i have it set to off, could this be causing my issue, not sure what other setting i may have wrong

18. Bytesmiths

Bytesmiths Mu-43 Veteran

And a 2,000 mph rocket is a 0 mph rocket when the fuel tank is empty.

I'm not saying you're crazy or wrong, just that the quoted 60 fps is the maximum, when everything Is Just Right™. There are lots of circumstances when it can't sustain that rate.

But I can demonstrate that, in the case of Pro Capture, at least, it will do 17 frames of 60 fps. That might be as good as it gets.

If you don't think you got good quality for your money, I'll give you a kilobuck for your E-M1.2. :)

The real question is: what are you trying to achieve that you cannot do, due to this perceived imperfection? Are you photographing bullets or laser beams or something that requires a 17 millisecond frame rate? Or is it just the idea that you should be able to shoot indefinitely at a 17 millisecond frame rate?

19. genesimmons

Feb 12, 2017
    no i am not shooting bullets, i am trying to see if i have an issue with either my gear or with me. if u bought a car capable of 200mph and u put the foot to the floor and got 50 would u look at issues, i can only get 8-10 fps no matter what mode i am in, my old canon could shoot that, i bought this camera mostly because of its fps rate, i shoot my kids sports and i enjoy shooting bmx and motor sports, if this thing can only shoot 10 fps i think i will return it, i tried the stop watch and it confirmed only 8-9 fps, i swapped cards with a slower card and it also only shot 8-9 fps, but it took much longer to load them, i am just trying to se if i am doing something wrong, please put your camera on silent high speed and push the shutter and let me know how many frames u get per second using the cameras clock,

20. Plumballs

Plumballs Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Whitchurch, Hampshire
    Phil
    Hi Genesimmons,
    I do not have this camera but if I was you what I would do is this - Put the camera in plane and simple Aperture Priority and lens wide open, for the test use RAW only, Crank up the ISO until where ever you are you are at around 1000's shutter and set it to Manual Focus (you could also just do it all in Manual settings if you prefer). That way nothing should interfere with the speed you will achieve. Put it in the mode you would like to test and press the shutter. My guess would be you will achieve the stated speeds. If it is now achieving the stated speed then check one at a time what setting is slowing it down.