Please say it ain't so

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by jlabate, Oct 12, 2011.

1. jlabate

jlabate Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2010

Sigma Germany has announced a wood-veneered version of its SD1 high-end DSLR. The 'Wood Edition' emphasizes the camera's premium appeal by adding a casing made from Amboyna Burl, an expensive and decorative veneer taken from complex growths on a Southeast Asian tree. The case takes around 60 hours to cut, mill and polish. Ten examples of the special edition will be available, body-only, for a recommended selling price of €9,999.
  2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    that wood is so shiny it looks like plastic. I like wood, but that ain't my cup of tea.
  3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    :rofl: And there are some tycoons out there that will be sporting this along with their Vertu mobile phones

And I usually dig on wood also, kind of still want a Jeep Wagoneer with wood paneling, but not sure if a slippery, shiny looking finish makes sense for a camera body.
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Looks... slippery.
  5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I can imagine that a wood veneered camera COULD look good, but this is not that camera.
  6. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Further proof that the whole SD1 fiasco is really just Sigma having a giggle...
  7. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I guess I'm the only one who thinks it looks kinda... cool.

But would I want one? No. :rofl:
  8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I like it too. Would look good with a wooden lens also ... just to sorta tie-in lens and camera combo.
  9. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Ummm... interesting... ...
  10. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Would go well with my baby giraffe and direct tv package.

Opulence... I haz it.
  11. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Aki Asahi offers these delightful choices of body cladding for the E-P3 :eek:

12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Is that real wood?
  13. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    real wood 80s speaker cabinets.
  14. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    It makes about as much sense as one of these:

There will always be a market for "luxury status symbols" from socks to private jets.

When some people have more money than they know what to do with they buy things (not based on need or practicality) but based on whether other people will believe you've bought the the most expensive, best things.

When I see a camera like that I instantly think of the DirecTV ad where the Russian multi-billionaire walks on screen and says, "Opulence. I has it."

[ame=]DirecTV Russian Guy Funny Commercial ("Opulence, I Has It") - YouTube[/ame]
  15. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    What's wrong with that Pentax? I think it's sweet.
  16. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Can't remember if Pentax did this before or after being acquired by Ricoh ?

Maybe its a subtle hint (like a camera manufacturers code?) that Sigma also want to be bought by Ricoh ?
  17. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Wood is probably the ultimate in retro, it's what the first cameras were made of. Shame about the style - I think Sigma should have made it look like a fine old Gandolfi 10x8 cherry wood. Just think how many pixels they could get on a sensor that size! :biggrin: