1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Please recommend me a great 50mmf1,4

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Neftun, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Hi!

I'm looking for a great nifty-fifty:) As much as I would love to adapt a summilux or zeiss, my budget does not allow it.

I've tried a few; om, nikkor, canon ef. Not too impressed. Like the cosmetic look of takumar, but quality is priority. What I want is not necessarily somthing technically superior to the mzd 45mm, but something that renders a cool look.

Any input appreciated:)

2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Cool as in WB, or interesting?

I have a silvernose (earliest version) OM zuiko up for sale now. Works great, renders a bit cool, and is quite sharp. (Shameless bump).

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app

3. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Yea, I know of the silvernose om's. Have an 50f1,8 infact, tried a 1,4. Liked some of the images, but weird with bright light. Also the aperture blades did not make a proper circle until f4, so no thanks. Good luck on your sale though!

4. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Have you checked out the Canon 50 f/1.4 thread?

I personally have one, and although (a) I have the Oly 45mm; and (b) the 50mm is a bit on the heavy/large size especially if you are using one of the smaller bodies (like my E-PL3) -- I can't let it go. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  5. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Why not a Zeiss 50/1.7? Not 1.4, but sharper wide open than the 1.4 is wide open, and can be had for relatively little money. I love my contax Zeiss 50/1.4, it's something special.

• Like Like x 1
  6. psknapp

psknapp Mu-43 Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    You mentioned you tried the Canon EF, but what about the Canon FD 50mm 1.4? Admittedly, I bought it because I could afford another $60 for a lens, but couldn't afford $300 for the 45mm 1.8 (which I still want).

When I get the focus right, it's very sharp and extremely affordable. I have a good copy and it's sharp even wide open, but it has a very narrow in-focus depth at 1.4.

• Like Like x 1
  7. godwinaustin

godwinaustin Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 23, 2014
    Jackson, WYO
    Jon
    The Pentax SMC-M or SMC-A 50mm 1.4 are excellent lenses, both in design and performance, and are cheap.

• Like Like x 1
  8. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    I'm leaning towards a takumar; I've tried an 105mm, beautiful design and handling, not at all bad optics. How important would you say the latest version of multicoating is? As I gather they come in three versions, one without mc, one of same design with mc, and a third with different, imo uglier design but supposedly improved mc.

10. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Really, it comes down to rendering. I am a fan of Minolta glass (part of the reason why I am selling the Oly). Is it color rendering, OoF shapes, sharpness, or something else that you look for? I have found that the older the coating, the less contrast in the captured image (but easily raised in post). Be aware that along with changing coatings, they may have changed optical designs or the number of aperture blades.

11. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    What I'm after is not so much sharpness, but smooth OOF rendering is a priority. I sold an om50f1,4 due to as mentioned apertureblades making weird shapes. Could be a bad copy, I dunno.

12. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Does it need to be a 50mm specifically? I have a copy of both the Minolta 58 1.4 and 1.2, and both are quite smooth (the 1.2 being more smooth, but almost 10x the cost). I know that Konica also made a 57 1.4 (no idea as to the reputation.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    No, I'm open for suggestions also in focal-lenght. 58mm sounds interesting, I'm guessing the extra lenght contributes to the smoothness, which is appealing. I'm gonna check out some rokkors, thanks:)

14. godwinaustin

godwinaustin Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 23, 2014
    Jackson, WYO
    Jon
    Well one thing to pay attention to on those old taks is that thorium coating, or whatever it was, can yellow with time and leave a cast on all your images. The newer pentax primes would be a good choice and have more modern SMC coatings.

• Like Like x 1
  15. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    The yellow cast can easily be removed with simple sun or even an Ikea led light exposure ie www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CAaSgK6WsE

• Like Like x 1
  16. Pawel D.

Pawel D. Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    BiaƂystok, Poland
    I can recommend Sigma 50/1.4. If you get 4/3 mount you'll have rather slow, but useful AF :) It's a big one.
    And image quality is really good! But the price might be not so satisfying...

• Like Like x 1
  17. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    While I really dig the way my Zuiko 50/1.4 renders, I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea. Especially blooming in bright light wide open.
    Then again, I have a copy of the latest (s/n >1,1.000.000) batch, which imo is leagues ahead of the other OM 50/1.4s.
    Some even call the late models the "Japanese Summilux" :wink: Anyhow, why not try the Zuiko 55/1.2? It's 2-3x the price of the 1.4, but renders porttraits amazingly wide open.
    Cream of the crop are the 58 Rokkors in 1.4, and 1.2, and of course the Canon 50/55 f/1.2 SSC (Asph.).They're quite expensive though.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jason C

Jason C Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2014
    SoCal
    I have a Canon FDn 50/1.4 ($60), and it was my "go-to" mf lens for a long time, good colors and contrast with a dreamy quality wide open. Now, my new "go-to" mf lens is my Konica Hexanon 57/1.4 ($49). Same qualities as my Canon, but more of them...

Jason

• Like Like x 1
  19. dadadude

dadadude Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2013
    San Carlos, CA
    David
    It's really hard to find a bad 50mm lens from back in the day. I have Canon, Pentax, Konica, Minolta, Leitz Wetzlar, Yashica, Ricoh and Chinon 50's and there aren't any of them that don't perform well.

• Like Like x 2