1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Please recommend HDR Software

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by fljoe, Aug 15, 2012.

1. fljoe

fljoe Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    FL
    Hello,

I am interested in doing HDR photography. I am a total novice, so would like to know what software people recommend for a total newcomer to the world of HDR photography. I have Lightroom 4, so any recommendations for plug-in software to LR4?

I searched the forum and found the following:
    1) Nik's HDR Efex Pro 2
    2) Photomatix Pro 4.2

Some free options:
    1) Luminance HDR
    2) Essential HDR Community Edition

Thank you for all your inputs!

2. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    I have both Photomatix and HDR Efex Pro (Version 1 though....), and overall I prefer Photomatix because I feel that it's easier to get a "natural" looking result from it. I believe that each offers a free 15-30 day trial, so why not try them for yourself?

Each can be set up to be used as an external editor with LR4. With that said, there's also another plug-in exclusively available for Lightroom called "Enfuse". I have never tried it, but it might also be worth your while.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Reactions

Reactions Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    Norcal
    Gabe
    I use photoshop which is pretty nicely integrated with Lightroom.

You batch select your photos and then right click - create HDR in photoshop

4. digitaldan1

digitaldan1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    I have and prefer Photomatix. If you already have Photoshop give it a try as the previous poster suggested. If you're happy with the results then you don't have to buy another program.

5. Mithrandir

Mithrandir New to Mu-43

Aug 13, 2012
    My favorite HDR software is HDRengine from Oloneo. I find it intuitive and very fast. My post processing involves using HDRengine to align and combine the images. It is also amazing at removing unwanted ghosting automatically. I then finish my processing using Corel PaintShop Pro X4 Ultimate (includes NIK Color Efex Pro 3.0).

6. TonyB

TonyB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2010
    Nik HDR Efex Pro..

for me. I have Photomatix but HDR Efex is much more user friendly, has some great presets and it's very easy to get natural looking results. The ghosting removal is extremely effective and it also has CA removal which Photomatix doesn't have. For a noob Nik is a much better choice and there are some great video tutorials on the Nik website.

7. mfj197

mfj197 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2012
    Guildford, UK
    Michael
    I use the aforementioned Enfuse. It gives more natural results than many of the others, which is the sort of effect I want when doing HDR. Can thoroughly recommend it - indeed I've only scratched the surface of its capabilities.
    Michael

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

• Like Like x 1
  8. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2012
    Lancs., UK
    ...the latest Photomatix does have CA removal. I use Photomatix and find it useful for natural or creative HDR, although I pre-process for CA removal and noise in LR4
    JohnyT