Please recommend a compact ILC w/ integrated viewfinder

eljay

Mu-43 Regular
So, a friend saw my GX1 and wants a comparable camera because "his wife can never take a photo with the LCD" on their compact Nikon superzoom. Seriously.
Anyways, he has money, so who am I to argue. :)

Here are the criteria I managed to extract from our conversation:
1. integrated centrally-mounted viewfinder (so rangefinder-like bodies are out)
2. compact
3. interchangeable lens
4. good auto mode

I suspect that despite requesting #3, whatever kit lens comes on the camera will stay there forever and majority of the pictures will be taken in auto. I was just going to tell him to get Panasonic FZ200 and be done. But since he wants the above listed features, I was thinking that at one end, I'm tempted to recommend EM10 kit. Or would they be better served by something like Sony A3000? I know the Sony has a more DSLR-like body.

Anything else out there that would fit?

Thank you.

Nixon

New to Mu-43
I'm no expert, but the A3000 is probably a bad choice. While I was looking for my new purchase, I had my hands on one in a couple of stores and the viewfinder is awful. Horrible blue tinge to them that would put off anyone imo.

Art

Mu-43 All-Pro
ImageUploadedByMu-431405277703.588068.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

E-M10 + Panasonic 14-140 II compact and lightweight combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

eljay

Mu-43 Regular
In all honesty, I think she would enjoy the Stylus 1 with the constant reasonably bright 10.7 X zoom lens that uses the same EVF as the E-M10.
That's a good recommendation. If they don't insist on ILC, this would be great. Thanks.

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
What about a G5 or G6 with the 14-140mm, the G5 can be had at bargain prices now so could be a low cost option. Then there are the Panasonic super zoom FZ? series if they want an integrated lens option, though I have considered getting the Stylus 1 for the wife to replace her oldish Casio. Though if they still make them the Casio,s have a lot going for them if the person wants speedy shooting. Best to know what the buyer wants to do with it, what things will be most useful for them.

davidzvi

Real Name
David
View attachment 34680
E-M10 + Panasonic 14-140 II compact and lightweight combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

Well I just got this for my sister in law to replace a Nikon D200. The only difference is I got the older 14-140 Panasonic and the kit 14-42 plus the grip. The grip with the older 14-140 has a good feel and the kit lens without the grip is great for a smaller / light setup. The difference in price between the older 14-140 and newer paid for the grip, extra battery, memory card, and case with money to spare. Though not enough to cover the price of that flash.

sigamy

Mu-43 Regular
+1 on the G5 or G6.

if you go with EM10, I would have them go to store and test out the ergonomics.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
That's a good recommendation. If they don't insist on ILC, this would be great. Thanks.

I have the Stylus 1.The IQ is not as good as the EM10 (duh). Otherwise, it's enormously fun to use. Refurbs will save you money, and if she waits for the next 20% off sale at GetOlympus.com she can get it for $450 or so.

Of course, the G3 costs almost nothing ($215 for the body at Amazon, 299 with the kit lens) and will seem like a serious upgrade to a small sensor user.

Andym72

Mu-43 Veteran
Yeah, do not go for the A3000. The viewfinder, as has been mentioned already, is awful. Low res, slow update and with a delay.

The choices are G5, G6 and EM10. If you can find a G5 new in box, it should be a bargain.

G6 is a lovely camera, great in the hand. And the EM10 has the dual wheel interface, and is a little gem (can't believe you can get that much camera in such a small space).

Markb

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mark
Another vote for the E-M10. It really is an excellent camera.

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
If the ILC can be compromised: Canon G12 or G16. Advantage of the G12 is the fully articulated LCD. Advantage of the G16 is the faster lens. It is a very convenient size for carry in a purse and has more image quality and features than 99% of snapshooters need. I recommended one to a friend who had been shooting with some kind of small Canon DSLR and just one lens. She loves the camera and thanks me for the recommendation almost every time I see her.

Its biggest disadvantage is that it is not impressive to look at.

ean10775

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Eric
I'd definitely recommend the G5 kit for the prices it's going for these days , however, there is no way I could live with the build/feel of the kit lens.

val

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
William
E-M10 is the best bang for buck. it's my usual recommendation

Latest threads

Top Bottom