Please recommend a compact ILC w/ integrated viewfinder

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by eljay, Jul 13, 2014.

1. eljay

eljay Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    So, a friend saw my GX1 and wants a comparable camera because "his wife can never take a photo with the LCD" on their compact Nikon superzoom. Seriously.
    Anyways, he has money, so who am I to argue. :)

Here are the criteria I managed to extract from our conversation:
    1. integrated centrally-mounted viewfinder (so rangefinder-like bodies are out)
    2. compact
    3. interchangeable lens
    4. good auto mode

I suspect that despite requesting #3, whatever kit lens comes on the camera will stay there forever and majority of the pictures will be taken in auto. I was just going to tell him to get Panasonic FZ200 and be done. But since he wants the above listed features, I was thinking that at one end, I'm tempted to recommend EM10 kit. Or would they be better served by something like Sony A3000? I know the Sony has a more DSLR-like body.

Anything else out there that would fit?

Thank you.
  2. Nixon

Nixon New to Mu-43

Jul 10, 2014
    I'm no expert, but the A3000 is probably a bad choice. While I was looking for my new purchase, I had my hands on one in a couple of stores and the viewfinder is awful. Horrible blue tinge to them that would put off anyone imo.
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I can't think of anything that fits the bill better than the E-M10.
  4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    In all honesty, I think she would enjoy the Stylus 1 with the constant reasonably bright 10.7 X zoom lens that uses the same EVF as the E-M10.
  5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The E-M10 seems like the strongest choice to me, in ILCs.
  6. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    E-M10 + Panasonic 14-140 II compact and lightweight combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43
  7. eljay

eljay Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    That's a good recommendation. If they don't insist on ILC, this would be great. Thanks.
  8. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    What about a G5 or G6 with the 14-140mm, the G5 can be had at bargain prices now so could be a low cost option. Then there are the Panasonic super zoom FZ? series if they want an integrated lens option, though I have considered getting the Stylus 1 for the wife to replace her oldish Casio. Though if they still make them the Casio,s have a lot going for them if the person wants speedy shooting. Best to know what the buyer wants to do with it, what things will be most useful for them.
  9. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA

Well I just got this for my sister in law to replace a Nikon D200. The only difference is I got the older 14-140 Panasonic and the kit 14-42 plus the grip. The grip with the older 14-140 has a good feel and the kit lens without the grip is great for a smaller / light setup. The difference in price between the older 14-140 and newer paid for the grip, extra battery, memory card, and case with money to spare. Though not enough to cover the price of that flash.
  10. sigamy

sigamy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    +1 on the G5 or G6.

if you go with EM10, I would have them go to store and test out the ergonomics.
  11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I have the Stylus 1.The IQ is not as good as the EM10 (duh). Otherwise, it's enormously fun to use. Refurbs will save you money, and if she waits for the next 20% off sale at she can get it for $450 or so.

Of course, the G3 costs almost nothing ($215 for the body at Amazon, 299 with the kit lens) and will seem like a serious upgrade to a small sensor user.
  12. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    Yeah, do not go for the A3000. The viewfinder, as has been mentioned already, is awful. Low res, slow update and with a delay.

The choices are G5, G6 and EM10. If you can find a G5 new in box, it should be a bargain.

G6 is a lovely camera, great in the hand. And the EM10 has the dual wheel interface, and is a little gem (can't believe you can get that much camera in such a small space).
  13. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Another vote for the E-M10. It really is an excellent camera.
  14. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    If the ILC can be compromised: Canon G12 or G16. Advantage of the G12 is the fully articulated LCD. Advantage of the G16 is the faster lens. It is a very convenient size for carry in a purse and has more image quality and features than 99% of snapshooters need. I recommended one to a friend who had been shooting with some kind of small Canon DSLR and just one lens. She loves the camera and thanks me for the recommendation almost every time I see her.

Its biggest disadvantage is that it is not impressive to look at.
  15. namssurt

namssurt New to Mu-43

Jul 6, 2014
    Dmc-g6kk is one of the few with a builtin viewfinder without getting pricy.
  16. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I'd definitely recommend the G5 kit for the prices it's going for these days , however, there is no way I could live with the build/feel of the kit lens.
  17. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    E-M10 is the best bang for buck. it's my usual recommendation