Please provide some feedback on how I organize pictures

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by burdickjp, Jul 6, 2013.

1. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    So I use Digikam, but I've helped a few people implement a similar organization system in other softwares:

I have the software import pictures into creation-dated albums following ISO numbering schemes:
    2013-06-05
    2012-01-13
    etc
    When a list gets long I put them into a year folder. If a month gets long I make a month folder as well.

Then the tagging begins. I have four top-tier tags:
    People
    Places
    Things
    Activities

People and Places are obvious.
    Digikam is good about incorporating face-detection into the people tags. It will also detect animal faces, which I move under a Things > Animals tag, so face tags don't necessarily have to stay under the People tag.
    The fun of living Things is there's already a great hierarchy of organization in place, though sometimes Latin may be involved...
    Sometimes Things and Activities can become confused. I try to make the most general tags possible and use multiple tags to be more specific. For instance, I have pictures of our schools formula SAE car. For these pictures I have them starred as Activities > FSAE and Things > Car.
    Activities I try to keep as verbs, but make exceptions for organization. FSAE is an activity. Autocross is an activity, though you could say autocrossing, I guess.

Here's where I'm running into problems: I would like to make some kind of association. For instance I have pet pictures. I'd like to associate the pets or cars with their owners, but the owners aren't necessarily IN the pictures, which would rule out People tags, but I also don't want redundant tags, so am trying to avoid tags of people's names popping up elsewhere but in the people tag section. I think some kind of association involvement would solve my organizations being under activities as well. Thoughts?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.