Please help

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by lifeinphotos, Dec 23, 2015.

1. lifeinphotos

lifeinphotos Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2015
    Dave
    I cant get the included flash to work with my em5 mark2. it is always greyed out. Any ideas why it isnt working. It works fine on my x100t

2. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Flash doesn't work with silent shutter. So, disable silent shutter and flash will work.

3. lifeinphotos

Nov 12, 2015
    Dave
    i tried that and still no joy :(

4. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Several different modes will disable flash such as using HDR mode, taking photos while recording a video, when using Live Guide, when using 3D photo mode, and maybe (but not sure of this) when shooting sequential (drive modes).

5. lifeinphotos

Nov 12, 2015
    Dave
    It's one of them that's stopping it

6. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

If all else fails, there is the nuclear option. Go into the menu and do a "Reset to Factory Defaults." That will wipe out most personal settings but should get you back to functionality with the flash. After you get it working again, you can add back in personal settings - one at a time - until you get to a point that it stops the flash and then go back one step. This is not the first choice as it entails a lot of work and is a PITA but it will work.

7. lifeinphotos

Nov 12, 2015
    Dave
    I think it will have to be that.

8. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    I know nothing about OMDs. But I will say that even after owning my E-PM2 for nearly two years, I still can't get used to the Oly menus: today the thing was "stuck" in hold-down-the-shutter-multi-exposure mode and I could not figure out how to turn it off. Eventually, after consulting the pdf manual, I realised that it was in "HDR" bracketing mode which needed to be turned off under shooting menu number 2.

Pah - in this respect, my Pana G3 is way better...

9. lifeinphotos

Nov 12, 2015
    Dave
    guys you wont believe this, the reason the flash wouldnt work is because i hadn't pushed it in enough.. ha what a idiot

• Funny Funny x 5
  10. TonyVentourisPhotography

TonyVentourisPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2015
    Well at least it works! I know I have many times tried to trouble shoot non-working electronic devices only to realize I forgot to plug them in or turn on the power strip!

11. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    I have had that problem with flashes before, they can be quite touchy

12. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Welcome to the club Dave. I think everyone has these little mishaps.
    Bobby :coffee-30:

• Agree Agree x 1