1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Please help

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by carsonbm, Jul 18, 2011.

1. carsonbm

carsonbm New to Mu-43

Jan 9, 2010
    I own a Olympus E-510 and a E-3 camera and I am thinking of switching to a micro 4/3 camera. I am getting older and need a smaller camera. Does the Olympus micro cameras take the same quality of pictures, any help will be appreciated. I would like to know any pro and cons on this and if the Olympus is the best Micro camera to buy.Thank you in advance.

2. I think that that the original 12MP micro 4/3 sensor found in the E-P1, G1, et al was a step up from the older 10MP 4/3 sensor in the E-4xx and E-5xx series cameras. I can't speak from personal experience with the E-3, but Olympus was going heavier on the AA filter back then so the resolution will probably be better with a micro 4/3 camera as well.

Asking which is the best micro 4/3 camera is something of a loaded question. The question should be which is the best micro 4/3 camera for you, which depends on what you are looking for in a camera.

• Like Like x 1
  3. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    I can only really speak of the oly's as I kind of ignore the panny's but :

I believe the answer is no, they don't take the same quality pictures. By most accounts they take slightly better quality pictures. (well at least the newer ones like the e-pl2 and e-p3).

The cons though being things other than picture quality like no optical view finder, focus speed (except in the e-p3 where it's claimed to be faster than the e-3 you have). The high end excessively high quality (and priced) lens selection for the micro version isn't not as thorough as for the large size four thirds version. There may or may not be a built in flash depending on which version of the micro's you buy. There may or may not be remote shutter trigger via wire, I believe the e-p's do but e-pl's don't). I don't think any of them have IR shutter trigger yet (maybe the e-p3). With regards to the e-3 you'll lose some shutter speed, I think 1/4000 is the max so far as I think your e-3 can do 1/8000?

So, it depends on how you use your camera... you may or may not notice any of the above at all.

If you're unsure, walk into a camera store with an SD card and ask to play with the camera and take some pictures. If nothing else it'll be fun :tongue:

4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Hi Carson.
    If the e-510 (a really small and lightweight DSLR with featherweight kit lenses) is becoming too much for you to carry, then I really think you're going to need a compact, rather than m4/3rds.
    Panasonic Z3? Olympus XZ1? Canon G10? That kind of thing.

My e-P1 is hardly lighter than my e-410 DSLR ! ... and then the lenses ...

5. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
    The processor is better on M4/3 and the resolution is better, in other words low light performance is better than the E3. Before going to M4/3 i hesitated between M4/3 and the E620 ( same sensor as the E-3 ) and finally i decided to take the M4/3. Now if you have a large collection of lens be warned that not all of them will be fast, in fact most of them will be slow as hell on M4/3 ( you need an adapter).