Please help with Shutter setting on EM-5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ig7, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 24, 2011
    I need help trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. I am trying to use 1/1000 Shutter speed with Em-5 and Pany 35-100. Even though aperture is set to 2.8 and ISO auto (3200 or so), I still have the 2.8 blinking and the images are very dark. I need to reduce the Shutter value to about 160 for 2.8 to stop blinking. Do I need a faster lens or a flash for these conditions?

2. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Sounds like your shooting in pretty low light conditions. The fastest SS with a flash will be around 1/160 - 1/200 sec. Are you trying to take fast moving subject shots?

3. Ig7

Aug 24, 2011
    I was trying to shoot a puppy running around. So, what I am trying to figure out, is how do you shoot with those high shutter speeds? is 2.8 not fast enough lens? What would be the setting/equipment to get to 1/1000?

4. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Edit: I just saw your post a bout the puppy. If you can't use a lower shutter speed, a higher iso or add more light, then yes you need a larger aperture.

If you're not getting an acceptable exposure then you need a slower shutter speed, a larger aperture, more light or a higher iso. Or a combination of these. Your particular situation will determine if you actually NEED a particular one or if you can use any combination.

My first inclination would be a lower shutter speed and a lower iso. And maybe a tripod. But i don't know what you're trying to do. Why are you trying to use 1/1000 sec.

Fred

5. Ig7

Aug 24, 2011
    I was afraid that was the case

6. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    First of all, I think f/2.8 is fast enough for most situations.

I wonder how dark is your shooting condition?

Also if you are shooting with the 12-35mm f/2.8 you don't need 1/1000 to shoot your puppy, even if it's moving around very fast. A shutter of around 1/320 or 1/500 should be more than enough to get sharp photos IMHO.

7. Ig7

Aug 24, 2011
    I was shooting inside. I understand now where the limitations are coming from
    Thanks everyone!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.