1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Please help with Aperture Libraries - iPhoto consolidation, external HD

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Gusnyc, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Gusnyc

Gusnyc Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    New York
    Hi!

I have a Macbook without a lot of disk space (a 256 Gb SSD). When I installed Aperture, I imported the iPhoto library, but I selected to leave the masters in their current location (since I didn't know if I was going to like Aperture).

Well, I never looked back. My library grew quite considerably, and now I am running low in space. I bought a hard drive that I attached to my Airport Extreme, to use as a depository of the new pictures.

I run into a couple of situations that I can't resolve.

1- I would like to move all the pictures from the iPhoto library to the Aperture library permanently (and then delete the iPhoto library from my SSD). When I select "Consolidate Masters for Library" I get an error message stating "Unavailable master images cannot be consolidated. The selected master images are either offline or not found. Please reconnect them and try again.". I don't know what to do. I didn't move or delete anything from the iPhoto library since I started to use Aperture.

2- I would like to move some of the older events stored in my Aperture-laptop-library to my externalHD-Aperture-Library, to liberate space in my SSD. What is the procedure? I read the Aperture manual that I have to export and then import in the new library, but I can't figure out the correct settings to do this.

I would really appreciate any help. I've been reading forums online but the suggestions there are not really working.

Thank you, thank you very much for your help!

Gus

2. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    ugh
    im going thru a similar nightmare

moving from one macbook to another...
    but having to move everything to external, then to new mac... and the same with the destination mb

however i need to desperately clean my photos out( due to the fact i did weirdness while setting up an aperture trial a year ago, and i have like 2096523 copies of my libraries! UUUUUGH!!!! they also all seem to be slightly different somehow, so i need to compare each one to make sure im not deleting something "important" lol)
    im having to go thru several thousand photos and weed out the random motorcycle race pics that are old(and people didnt want copies of) and just keep the more street styled ones from off the track time

its taking forever and is already driving me nuts
    i just want to select all delete! and start fresh with only my mu43 pics
    lol!!!

im unsure how to fix yer problem.. but just wanted to let you know yer not alone in yer nightmare!

:D

3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Have you been allowing iPhoto to import the files into the library (that's the default)? If so you can right click on the iPhoto Library in the Finder and select...

SHOW PACKAGE CONTENTS

You should see a folder called Masters and/or Originals (the full resolution files will be in there). You can just copy them from there to any new location. Now, once you have done that when you import them into Lightroom or Aperture make sure to tell the application not to copy them into the library but instead leave them where they are (makes recovering a lost library a lot easier). It does require you to do some organizing at the top level and not rely solely on Aperture or Lightroom to do it but it is a lot simpler and IMHO safer once you do.

[​IMG]

I have my photos on a 2TB external HD and I back that up to a second drive monthly (drives do fail so it's best to have a backup).

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gusnyc

Gusnyc Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    New York
    Hi Dixeyk, thanks for your answer. I didn't understand the part where you say make sure to tell the application not to copy them into the library but instead leave them where they are (makes recovering a lost library a lot easier)". Isn't that the opposite of what I am trying to do? I would like to have all the pictures from iPhoto in the Aperture library, so I can delete the iPhoto library entirely (recovering some SSD space in my laptop).

5. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I think he's sayng to open the iPhoto library and move it, and then just have each program reference the photos from their new location, without creating separate iphoto and aperture libraries... I think :)

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

• Like Like x 1
  6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    A couple of things to look into

1) In Aperture, you can choose to store the image files you import in the Aperture Library ( the default) or in a folder or series of folders elsewhere... these are called referenced files.

2) There is also a option to Relocate Masters - this will allow you to move the master files to a new location. I believe the Consolidate masters option will add all the master files to the Aperture library

have a read of this

Tip #0 – Referenced vs. Managed Files | Aperture Users Network

K

• Like Like x 1