Please help, sincere request

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by grandeson, Aug 10, 2012.

1. grandeson

grandeson Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 10, 2012
    Hey all, wondering if you may be able to help. In the process of selling my Evolt 510 on the bay and looking to go to a mirrorless system. Have a newborn now and just looking for something that Im more apt to carry around. The two top leading choices are as follows, I can get the OLY E-PL2 for $330 delivered to my door, while the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 will run me $530 delivered. Both would be with the basic kit lens.

I am looking for a camera with a built in flash (not flexible on this) and would like an EVF, but am seeing this is very rare with these type of cameras. Also, prefer some video capabilites as well as much of a compact size is possible, including the size of the lens. thats what I think is stopping me from just getting the OLY for the terrific price its at, the fact that I can only get 7 mins recording from it, the lesser 720p doesnt actually bother me much, the length does. and the Panason GX1 has had a few negative reviews online and their customer service has been reportedly very bad.

So thats that. Nikon sensor size pretty much takes that off my list, and the new canon at $800 is a but more than I'd like to spend. So try and help, , new, under or around $600, with built in flash, decent video and small enough in size. I think if there was a hack to get the OLYMUPS E-PL2 to record longer video I would be in. But its holding me a up. E-PL2?, GX1?

THANK YOU ALL
    PS, should I add this to a different forum?

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    EP3 refurbished from Cametacamera is $559 (with lens) and has a built in flash and AVCHD video recording. It would require an add-on EVF. You could get the VF3.

Panny G3 has AVCHD recording AND a built-in EVF and pop-up flash for around $475 (Amazon warehouse deal -- B&H has one used for $450 Used | B&H Photo Video). Given your requirements, both those cameras seem a better fit than the ones you mentioned.

I prefer Oly personally, but the Panny G3 checks more of your boxes for a slightly cheaper price.

3. grandeson

grandeson Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 10, 2012
    Panny G3 too big, Oly P3 sounds good...

.... but not sure how much Im thrilled with a "factory demo/ refurb". Ill keep looking. wish I could get the E-PL2 to record longer than 7 minutes and i'd but it already. Keep up the suggestions please.

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Its your money, but I've purchased many refurbs without issue, and Cameta gives you a full year warranty. The G3 is pretty small actually. Have you had a chance to hold one in person?

5. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    +1 on Cameta refurbs. Great cameras & lenses at fantastic prices + 1 yr warranty.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

6. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    Having purchased several of the refurbs from Olympus (XZ-1) and Cameta (E-PL1 X3, E-PM1), for either personal use or helping family members get cameras, I can say that all the items were indistinguishable from new other than the packaging. And all of them have performed flawlessly.

7. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Olympus refurbs have been checked out and have the full factory warranty.

8. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Consider the Panasonic G3. It's not a lot bigger than the Oly (yes, it's bigger, but still pretty darn small), and has an EVF built-in. It's cheaper than the GX1, and has pretty much the same image quality. It also has a tilt-swivel screen, which can be handy. And I'm pretty sure it doesn't have the same video recording limit as the Oly.

Either of the Panasonics have better IQ than the Oly Pens, which have a much older sensor design.

The G3 isn't as sexy as the Pen or GX1, but it's an excellent picture taking tool.

9. grandeson

grandeson Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 10, 2012
    holding my piece....

.... probably when I narrow my selection down to 1 plus a back up I'll go to B&H, J&R or Adorama to hold them and see how they feel. I'll also heed the advice on the refurbs, just that $530 for a New GX1, and $330 for an E-PL2 are pretty bad a$$ deals.
    Little about me, I usually upbuy, meaning I buy way beyond my necessity, and I'm trying to stop that by getting, liking and appreciating what I have. I'm also not sure if the video on these cameras will be enough to justify me not having to buya full on camcorder for my newborn. I am not the perennial filming father, actually opposite of that, just want some filming capabilities when I need them. if you tell me that Im still going to need a dedicated camcorder than the Oly E-PL2 with its 7 minute limit and 720p will be fine for a supplemtental recorder.
    I dont want to do what I did with my Oly Evolt 510, review, review, review, buy a lens and hardly ever use it all, hence it being sold on Ebay as we speak. Ok, needed to talk a little so you know where Im at. I'm a frequent Watch forum user and am trying to get back into photography, so thought Id introduce myself a bit.
    Im up waiting for responses, I know, Im a loser... lol, and thanks peeps

10. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    A 7 minute uninterrupted clip is pretty long. I think the only time it would be a real limitation is if you want to set it on a tripod, turn it on and walk away.

I'll add my voice to the G3 suggestion. There should be good deals with the G5 coming.

Fred

11. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    How about a GF2? Small size? Check. Video? Check. The GH13 hack will make the video exceptional. EVF capable? Check. Albeit the LVF1. Flash? Check.

How much in a hurry are you? You can get this used in the $200-$300 range on ebay or Amazon. Cowboom is selling this used for $291 right now. A few days ago it was $185. Cowboom cycles it's sales. What's been on sale on Cowboom will be on sale again until they run out. The cool thing about Cowboom is the 30 day return policy. You can return or exchange it for any reason within that 30 days. Everything I've gotten from Cowboom has had a few months left on the factory warranty.

12. grandeson

grandeson Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 10, 2012
    checking g3 size....

i'll check the g3 size, but thought it was a tad big. Seeing that some have complained about a red dot flare issue on the e-pl2, so that may be dropping a point or two, but i do agree the 7 minute clip is sounding like a long enough chunk of video. I am surprised more folks havent stepped up saying the GX1 is the way to go.

Just to clarify things, the camera will be used for at least 90-95% for still photo, dont need an intense video camera.

keep on keepin on, i love the responsiveness here people

13. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm not personally a fan of the G3, but it hits your points pretty well grandeson. As far as size goes, you need to be the judge, but most of these cameras are not "pocketable", save for maybe the E-PM1 or GF3 with 14/2.5.

If I were in your shoes with a $700 budget I'd get a GX1 from Amazon marketplace for $325 and a 20/1.7. With a $500 - $600 budget maybe GF3 + or GF2 combo deal and the 20/1.7. Check out Cameta Camera, and the Hot Deals threads here. I'd really want a fast lens like the 20/1.7 with a newborn. I don't think on camera flash will get the job done very well.

I would buy refurb, open box or used on this forum with little hesitation. I've had great luck with all of those options.

Welcome aboard, BTW, and congrats on the little one.

14. grandeson

grandeson Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 10, 2012
    think i may wait a week or so listening to you guys, but Im not going to over analyze like I said. Im thinking the evf may be ok to put on the backburner right now. I know Im really all over the place now. and a mention of a hack to boot, this is getting juicy, i hate you guys.lol and thanks for the congrats on the little one, the greatest thing in the world.

15. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    I have to agree with this. On-camera flash just isn't going to make memories the way a faster lens will. If you can grab a $300-400 camera with decent noise control in the 1600-3200 ISO range, that plus the 20/1.7 should be a winning combo.

The E-PM1 will only record 7 min of motion-jpeg HD format, but will record 22 min of Full HD Fine in AVCHD format. Perhaps that's the best compromise?

16. grandeson

grandeson Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 10, 2012
    kevwilphoto explain please

not sure what you mean by the 22 mins of video..... is that of a lesser quality? is it a hack? if thats the case, the Oly E-PL2 gets rejuvinated, but the red dot flare may be enough to avoid.

I do think the G3 suggested is too big for what I would like. so Im tossing that out of the equation, right now a new Panny GX1 may be leading the pack.

Keep it coming my friends

17. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
  18. grandeson

grandeson Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 10, 2012
    odd, my reply wasnt posted, probably my fault. the size comparison seems to omit the size of the viewfinder, just looking at the pics the debth looks substantially bigger, almost halfway tothe depth of the evolt 510 im coming from. I know im exxagerating a little, but if Im selling the 510 for smaller, I want to go all in and get something small and capable. Think Panasonic has just too many models. Thought the suggested older GF2 has just caught my eye, words of wisdom?

19. Rabid_dog

Rabid_dog Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2012
    Burbank CA
    Rick
    If you are thinking of oly epl2 Costco.com has it for 299.99 with 14-42mm kit lens and memory card.

20. grandeson

grandeson Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 10, 2012
    costco oly

yeah, its damn costco thats making this so hard for offering for so low, thats the $330 shipped to my door. Without over analyzing I think Im just going to go with Panasonic GX1. Its a fairly new model with an upgraded sensor, had the pop up flash and the video recording capability and is regarded fairly well. I dont think I will find a better all around camera for my needs for $530 to my door, I just dont.

If it wasn't for the red dot flare on the Oly and the video length I think I'd do that, especially since Costco is my favorite place to buy things from. I'm even willing to overlook the limited video time, but the red dots are a bit much in some of the photos that I have seen.