Please Help, new E-M5 II LCD won't go on?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sgreszcz, Aug 2, 2015.

1. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    Hi there,

I just got a new E-M5 II camera, and the LCD was working but now after the firmware update (a couple of days later), for some reason it doesn't come on any more. the EVF is working, but I cannot pull up the menu to try and do a factory reset. I've tried to take out the battery (which is fully charged) but it still doesn't work.

I'm experienced with the original E-M5, E-PM2, E-P5, and other Panasonic mu4/3 cameras, but this is just plain weird.

As an aside, I also find the camera really laggy when trying to operate it (EVF, etc.)

Hopefully the LCD isn't broken as I have read bad things about Olympus support...

2. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Have you pressed the button to the left of the eyepiece?

3. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    Do you mean the button that switches on/off the EVF eye detection? (It is actually on the top right deck). I have manually tried switching on the LCD but no luck.

It is really frustrating too, but I can get the SCP to display in the EVF (and the picture review), but I've only managed to get the main configure menu to show in the EVF once, when I forced a factory reset.

I still haven't managed to get the LCD to come back on, so I think I will call Olympus support tomorrow.

I'm very disappointed in this, as I've opened quite a few cameras (including refurbs) but haven't experienced a failure like this before. I will some more digging online.

On the upside, I love the improved EVF (like my old VF4) and the grip is much better than the old E-M5 (much like my LX100).

4. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
  5. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 26, 2011
    You might try removing the eye cup and cleaning the contacts. I had this issue and that solved it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    How weird. I'll try that tonight before trying to Return it for a replacement tomorrow...

7. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    No luck, didn't work. Will exchange tomorrow :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.