Please, help me to decide my gear

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by nachetetm, Dec 17, 2014.

1. nachetetm

nachetetm Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2014
    Hi everyone!

Christmas is coming, and would be the perfect time to add a new lens to the collection. The problem is that I cannot decide which one :smile:

The first interchangeable lens I had was the Zuiko 14-42IIR that came with my E-PL3. The camera is gone, but the lens is still with me. Quality was fine at the beginning, until I decided to buy the Zuiko 45mm :frown: Suddenly, the images I was taking with the zoom looked poor to my eyes compared with the little 45mm. After a while, I decided to jump into the newly released (at the time) E-M10, and with the new camera came a second hand Lumix 20mm pancake. At that point I became so spoiled with the rendering and the sharpness of that lens that I almost stopped using the zoom, and I found myself going out just with the two primes. Even the looks of the Zuiko don't seem so special anymore, and I started to understand what the people mean when they say the zuikos render a more "clinic" image, while the lumix are a bit more "organic". Definitely, I am on the "organic" fanclub.

After some months with this gear (Zuiko 14-42IIR, 45mm and 20mm) and a few trips, I realized that I could shot almost everything with the 20mm (even environmental portraits). I really like the 40mm focal length but (there is always a "but" :wink:) with this lens I was missing some wide shots. I have the zoom for that but, as I explained before, those pictures look bland to me. Changing lenses in the street is also not my prefered choice, but I became kind of used to do it.

So here are my three possible choices for my next lens:

1) Buy the Lumix 12-32 to use when I need something wider, or for those occasions that I prefer to use a zoom. However, I was very close to buy one second hand a few months ago but, when I saw some pictures taken with that lens, I cancelled the purchase. I am pretty sure that copy was decentered, but now I feel I bit skeptical about the quality of the lens.

2) Buy the Lumix 12-35 f2.8 (second hand). With this lens I hope to have the same quality and rendering I obtain with the 20mm, with the versatility of a zoom. However, I am afraid despite the price tag, this lens is not going to have that special rendering I appreciate so much in the Lumix 20mm.

3) Buy the Panaleica 15mm. This lens seems to be perfect. Better rendering, less purple fringing, no banding on the E-M10, faster focusing and wider to cover those shots I cannot take with the 20mm. However, the jump from 40mm to 30mm seems quite big, and I am afraid it may be too wide for me (I do not shot much at 28mm with the zoom, to be honest) Its price in Europe does not help either, TBH :rolleyes:

Obviously I arrived to this point because I read so much about these lenses that I became enormously confused. I would like to hear (read) your thoughts, maybe your experience will help me to find the right lens.

Thanks!!

2. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I have the 12-32 and love it, my copy is very good, I like what I have seen from the 12-35 and if it were not for my preference for small I may have bought one. Have you thought of trying the 14mm panasonic? Its a good lens though if you find that length hard to work with perhaps both it and the 15mm are not for you. The second curve ball I will throw in what about either the Panasonic 7-14 or the Olympus 9-18mm lenses? perhaps one of these would cover your wide needs and some.

3. hemuni

hemuni Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2014
    Of the three I would prefer the 15mm, but I would also suggest starting with the 14mm panny. Its tiny, sharp, has great colors and the AF is quiet and fast and it's a steal second hand. Then you can always move to the 15mm later on if you feel you need that extra stop and a half.

4. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    The 12-35 is a fantastic performing lens, probably my most used lens out of 5 lenses I own.

However if you really need speed (in terms of aperture and AF performance), I'd recommend you take a look at either the Olympus 12mm f/2, or the Panasonic 15mm f/1.7. The Olympus is a good bit wider than the Panasonic, and 12mm on m43 is a pretty good length, especially if you like doing a lot of landscapes or photography in the city where you like capturing the background/buildings. The 15mm is going to be a bit sharper than the 12mm, and is 1/2 a stop faster. I wouldn't bother with the 12-32, as there is a good bit of barrel distortion, and the aperture is quite slow at f/3.5 (1 2/3 stops slower than the 12mm prime).

Honestly, I would recommend renting both the 12mm and 15mm prime lenses, and see which one you like more. There is a huge difference in terms of FoV between a 24mm and 30mm lens.

If it turns out you like the 15mm best ,and you really want to spoil yourself, sell the 20mm and get a Panasonic 25mm f/1.4. It's truly a special lens.

5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    The little Lumix 14mmF2.5 is cheap and takes a nice wide picture. Very small too.

Or go WIDE with one of the zooms : 7-14 or 9-18

6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    If you can afford the 12-35 and it's not too big for you, then get one. It's a fine lens and will do everything you want.

7. mjgraaf

mjgraaf Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2014
    Netherlands
    Menno
    Do you really expect help posting such a question on this forum? You'll only be driven into more analysis-paralysis [emoji1] You started wirth a choice of 3, how many do we now have? [emoji12]

8. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    MJGraaf has a point.
    Give up hope, all ye who enter here with a "what to buy next" thread ...

• Like Like x 1
  9. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    I had the 20 before the 12-35. Now I have the 12-35 the 20 almost never gets used. Take from that what you will.

10. nachetetm

nachetetm Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2014
    Thanks to everyone, your answers have been of great help. I'm going to purchase the 12-35, but it will not happen soon :frown: My laptop just died, so the money is going into a new one. As soon as my pocket recover I will be looking for a nice second hand 12-35.

11. Chris5107

Chris5107 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Chris
    If you do not mind the size, this is a great choice. It does render very nicely and you will really like the 12mm end too. I love my primes but once I got this lens, I don't use them as much as I want to because this one is just that good.

12. mjgraaf

mjgraaf Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2014
    Netherlands
    Menno
    And there might be good options used, now that everyone os running after the 12-40 oly :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.