1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

please help me to choose wide angle,between samyang 7.5mm vs m.zuiko 9-18mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by komucit, Nov 9, 2011.

1. komucit

komucit New to Mu-43

Aug 13, 2011
    Hi,now i'm saving money for buy wide angle lens.
    there's someone who sell samyang 7.5mm mFt in here around $430 (new) and
    coincidental there is someone other who selling m.zuiko 9-18mm (used item) in here too around $570 (i couldn't buy if new condition) .

When i look result from samyang 7.5mm i think it's so wide sometimes you get fisheye effect sometime you only get wide angle.

can you help me to choose from those lens? and why you recommended me to buy that lens?

ps: i don't want order from ebay because i don't want to pay tax again.

Thanks for answering

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The Samyang is indeed a fisheye lens. ;) I'd stick with the 9-18mm. Much more useful.

3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I'm considering buying a Samyang. I find the fisheye to be fun sometimes and shots can be "de-fished" with the touch of a button in software which ends up giving you a much wider angle.

4. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    But you will lose some quality by "de-fishing" (nice word BTW). And you will also lose some of the "wide angle" effect as well I believe which would may it less wide that a 7.5 ultra wide.

I believe you will find the 9-18 much more useful.

5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    these de-fishing examples were what sold me. Fisheye-Hemi Plug-In review

I like the option of having it either way. And the Samyang gets rave reviews ...... Samyang 7.5 mm f/3.5 UMC Fish-eye MFT review - Summary - Lenstip.com

check out the conclusion..... "Pros:

small, well-build and very handy casing,
    sensational image quality in the frame centre,
    excellent image quality on the edge of the frame, including the maximum relative aperture,
    low chromatic aberration,
    negligible astigmatism,
    very well corrected coma,
    well corrected vignetting,
    proper work against bright light.

Cons:

lack of depth of field scale.

Does a small, solidly build, stylish lens really exist? One that provides an excellent image quality already up from the maximum relative aperture, in the frame centre and on the frame edge alike? A lens devoid of basic optical aberrations and with a very affordable price tag? You could skeptically answer that it is too beautiful to be true. The good news is that no, it is not; it is a lens called Samyang, designed for the Micro 4/3 system."

6. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Hmmm... I got both. I do agree the Hemi defish program is awesome. You can check an earlier post I did which was taken by the samyang with Defish and reg photos. I am now considering if I should sell my 9-18 and get a 12mm or the 7-14mm instead.

7. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    That software looks amazing. :smile: