please help me narrow my decision

canucks

New to Mu-43
Hi All,

I am in the market for a new camera that will fit the following requirements
  • light and small (for travelling, taking to park, easy to carry around)
  • taking photos of an active 2yr (fast autofocus?)
  • low light

So far, I am considering a Panasonic GX7 and overtime get the following lenses;
  1. Panasonic Lumix DG Summilux 25mm F/1.4 --- starting lens
  2. Panasonic Lumix G 12-35mm F/2.8
  3. Panasonic Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm F/1.2

For the questions;
  • what are your opinions with the GX7 and its lenses?
  • will it achieve my requirement of fast AF and lowlight?
  • are there any other m43 system and lenses that you would recommend?

I've also looked at the new Sony a6000, which is good in low light and fast autofocus, but its lens selection is very limited at the moment (unless I find comparable lenses to the ones listed above) or perhaps get a full DSLR and lose on the portability.

Any advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm pretty sure that any of the recent m43 cameras will suit your listed needs, feature-wise -- I'd recommend seeing how they feel in your hands and going from there.

Note that focus speed may be more of a particular lens characteristic rather than a body/make issue.

Oh, and I really love my GX7, but suspect I'd really love an OMD EM10, too. ;)

dornblaser

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David Dornblaser
The Olympus E-M10, which I have, would be the obvious 2nd option. However, I think the GX7's better video and your lens choices which, IMHO, are better than the corresponding Olympus lenses make your selection a mighty fine kit.

canucks

New to Mu-43
thanks for the feedback. I'll lurk the other forum for user posted pictures to get a handle on the image quality of the gx7, specifically those produced by one of the lenses I am interested in.

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
Hi All,

• low light

For the questions;
  • what are your opinions with the GX7 and its lenses?
  • will it achieve my requirement of fast AF and lowlight?
  • are there any other m43 system and lenses that you would recommend?

Sounds like a solid plan, and yes it will meet your requirements. If it were me though, I would swap your #2 with your #3 for order of purchase. If you start off with a nice 25mm/1.4 prime, then you will want that 42.5/1.2 to go with it, and will spend no more on that as you would a zoom lens. With those two lenses you will have a nice complete standard-to-mid range set of ultra fast glass with enough focal length coverage to be useful. You can then add the f/2.8 zoom lens later on when the funds permit again, in order to give you a second option for a "convenient" one-lens setup if you don't want to swap between primes. By that time if you've gotten used to your primes you may not even see a need for a zoom lens (the only reason I use them is because I still have them from my DSLR days, but I no longer purchase any), and may instead decide to add something like the m.Zuiko 12mm/2 to your prime collection instead for more coverage with a 3-lens prime kit. :)

MaK543

Mu-43 Regular
I have GX7 plus PL Noct. It's my main setup for taking photos of my 2yr and 4yr. I have no problem with AF. It's very very fast and accurate most of the time, more so than my Nikon D600 + 85mm.

canucks

New to Mu-43
This is good feedback, thank you so much!

Mak - would it be possible for you to post 1 or 2 sample images from the gx7 w/ the PL Noct lens, preferably an action shot and one in low light (no facial for kid's privacy)?

dealmtl

Mu-43 Regular
Many people don't consider the PL Noct as a light and small lens ; ) Olympus 45mm f/1.8 may be a good (and much cheaper) alternative.

wildwildwes

Mu-43 Veteran
The Noct 42.5 blows the Olympus 45mm out of the water. I have both.

I'm sorry, but my experiments with both lenses didn't evidence your assertion. While I did find the PL/Noct to better the Oly SOME of the time, the differences between the two weren't jaw-dropping. it wasn't a case of "OMG, I MUST HAVE THIS LENS!" Actually for me, the OLY's diminutive size and EXCELLENT image quality far outweigh my desire to drop well over 4x its price in favor of the PL/Noct. I mean, I got into M 4/3 because I was tired of lugging around HUGE lenses! All of that said, there is ONE area where I found the PL/Noct to indeed "blow away" the Oly, and that's in the fit and finish department. No contest. The PL/Noct's fit and finish is absolutely gorgeous & is built like a tank (all of which are absolutely in-line with it's price tag)!

val

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
William

dejongj

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jean-Paul
Hi All,

• low light

Light and small is always relative from where you come from....Whilst compared to full frame or medium format the 25mm and 42.5mm are much smaller, they are huge for the M43 format....Like Giants when compared to say the Oly 25mm f1.8 and 45mm f1.8.....Lovely rendering, and especially the 42.5mm I was so so tempted until I held one and had it against my camera and then compared to the tiny little size of the 45mm f1.8 which I just drop in my pocket....Yet when pixel peeping it is better...but you can forget light and small....

Fast auto focus is great....can't talk for the 25mm....but my Oly 17mm f1.8 is instant, as is my 45mm f1.8....

It depends on your style, but personally I'd get the 35-100 f2.8 instead of the super wide-angle zoom. You surely don't want to have the camera in the face of the 2yr old, a classic (35mm equivalent) 70-200mm f2.8 zoom is perfect for nice portraits, having enough distance to not interfere with the scene etc....That would be my suggestion...

dejongj

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jean-Paul
gotta say that wildwildwes has some good points.

this was a funny comparison, the Oly 45mm and the PL 42.5mm lens cap comparison is even funnier. ahh well

14077009870_4e7abbbd76_c.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
P4970035 by Will Solis, on Flickr

LOL Very good! And exactly the reason whilst with cash in my pocket and using it in the shop I decided not to go for it....It is just to big for what I want...

markdaunt

Mu-43 Regular
If size and weight are the most important factor then I would agree. But if low light and image quality are top of your list then I'm sorry but I stick by what I said earlier, the PL 42.5 blows the Olympus 45 out of the water. I use it nearly daily on a GH4 for video work and as many reviews state it is probably the best MFT lens going.

dejongj

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jean-Paul
I don't doubt or dispute whether it is the best MFT lens going...I think it probably deserves that title.....Still big and heavy, and not a small package to carry around with a 2 year old, nor greatly balanced on GX7 or PEN5 or the likes....As a pro work tool, 100% no doubt about it.....for this particular use case.....well only the OP can answer that...

val

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
William
Well I'm still indecisive myself, I keep going back and forth and the biggest negative for me is the size and weight although the rendering and sharpness is gorgeous.

canucks

New to Mu-43
ooh interesting info. I've been talking to my wife and she is not too thrilled about a 1600 dollar lens. sounds like the m.zuiko 45mm will be better for our budget.

thanks guys!

Bif

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Bruce Foreman
I'll toss in another vote for lighter and smaller. I have the GX7 (also a GH3 and GH4), and I also have the Pan/Leica 25mm f1.4. For just running around during the daytime I usually have the Lumix 14-45 on which gives me a "workhorse" wide angle (28mm equiv) to "portrait perspective" short tele all in one lens that doesn't overbalance the GX7 too much. I've also got the Oly 45mm f1.8 and Oly 75mm f1.8 (usually use that on a GH body!).

The GX7 is exactly the best choice for someone who wants to "travel light", if I were choosing lenses right now I would consider the Oly 25mm f1.8 over the PL 25mm f1.4 for it's slightly smaller size and lighter weight. Extensive testing shown on this site has found no significant IQ difference between the two and f1.8 is certainly plenty adequate for low light work with this camera.

The Oly 45mm f1.8 is also an excellent choice for this camera, again size and weight speak in it's favor. For wide angle, I'd also consider the Lumix 14mm f2.5 for the same reasons. The camera body and those 3 lenses can pack in an incredibly small bag like the Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 20.

orfeo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I believe the notice on is a wiser investment than the oly. But best and wise are both subjective adjective and oly advocates sure convinced you. A shame!

Latest threads

Top Bottom