1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

PLEASE HELP! Black screen on new camera, need it tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jlouisalmeida, Jul 10, 2014.

1. jlouisalmeida

jlouisalmeida Mu-43 Regular

Jul 7, 2014
  2. jjinh

jjinh Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2014
    You need a lens of some sort to see a proper image on the EVF and/or screen.

3. jlouisalmeida

Jul 7, 2014
    I have a 4/3 lens attached to that adapter

4. jlouisalmeida

Jul 7, 2014
    The shutter speed adjust like it is receiving light but no image and it won't let me take a picture. Is there a setting I am missing? Or a way to see if it is a crap adapter or crap camera?

5. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

Make sure the adapter is properly seated. There should be a click when you stop turning. Gently rock it back and forth. If the pin on the camera mount doesn't extend into the recessed adapter oval, the screen will blank.

Brian

6. jlouisalmeida

Jul 7, 2014
    ok, I think its a crap adapter. Both pins click in, but if I press the release on the adapter (to remove the 4/3 lens) and twist the lens just a bit like I'm removing it, the screen works...

7. Fred S

Fred S Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2012
    Calgary
    Fred S
    Also try cleaning the adapter contacts.
    that occasionally happens to my EPL-5 and a cheap Viltrox adapter

8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I have one adapter that I used with my M mount lenses that did just that. It was a cheap adapter and no matter what I tried, I always got a black screen, both the LCD and EVF.

9. jlouisalmeida

Jul 7, 2014
    Tried cleaning it off and nothing. Just overnighted the adapter I should've bought in the first place. Glad I'll have that weather seal now

10. oog

oog New to Mu-43

Jul 29, 2012
    You probably also need to make sure you've enabled the setting for "shoot without lens" or something like that (sorry it's off the top of my head). It's in one of the shooting menus. I've needed that for any lenses/adaptors that don't have electrical contacts.

11. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    That would be a panasonic option, Olympus can shoot without lenses attached by default. The problem seems to be more that the camera is disconnecting power because the adapter isn't seating correctly.

12. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Does the viewfinder work? There is a button the the hump to switch between the VF and Screen...and default eye sensor is probably on.

13. jlouisalmeida

Jul 7, 2014
    Ahhh! So frustrating. We have a problem again. Got the official Olympus converter and the camera is acting weird. I turned it on and it would barely focus when I half pressed the shutter, then randomly take a picture. Then after doing that a few times the screen went black like the adapter wasn't working again. Messed around with it a bit, black screen (all text on screen but no image). Messed around more and got an image again, took one picture and then no image. Wth! I'm thinking it's a bad body now...

14. jlouisalmeida

Jul 7, 2014
    It seems like the shutter is sticking or messed up. When I take the lens off sometimes it's closed, is that normal?

15. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    You should be able to see the sensor with no lens and the camera turned on or off. If you see the sensor turn on the camera and fire the shutter several times. You will see the shutter action working. If you mount the adapter and see part or all of the shutter (no sensor) Your adapter is not working. If you're just looking at the camera with no adapter and see any or all of the shutter (no sensor) your camera is not functioning properly. I don't remember where in the menu (sold my E-M5) it is but you should be able to reset the camera to full factory reset which deletes all custom settings and returns the camera to the way it shipped from the factory. If your camera is still malfunctioning after the factory reset with no lens or adapter mounted I'd send the body back.

16. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Busted camera! The sensor is never ever closed unless the camera is shooting. That is why you cannot see anything on the VF's. It has to be open for live view. Hope that wedding is not today, as you won't be shooting video with this camera.

The reset on an EM5 shows up on the first menu screeb ubder Reset/Myset. I would be surprised if it did anything here.

17. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I don't think you have ruled out that your lens is faulty ?
    Have you used only the one lens ?
    Rob

18. jlouisalmeida

Jul 7, 2014
    The same would thing occurred with a different lens using the adapter. I do not have a m4/3 lens to test with unfortunately but if this camera wont work with my existing 4/3 lenses then I need a different one!

19. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    It might not be the lens, it could be the adapter.

20. jlouisalmeida

Jul 7, 2014
    This is the 2nd adapter as well