1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Please explain using Manual Focus lenses....

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kstevieh, Jul 24, 2010.

1. kstevieh

kstevieh Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2010
    USA, West Virginia
    Hey all.....first let me say I havent been on for a while now.....real life....job etc. kept me away. I am now hopefully going to start taking more pics...posting some on here etc.

So on to the ?

First I scored 5 different pentax lenses in PK mount at a yard sell for 10 bucks...Ordered an adaptor and waiting on it to arrive. Next I hope to get the VF2

When you put a manual focus legacy lens on the camera (e-pl1) what settings do you need to change? How do you set it up etc?

Does the apeture control on the lens work? do you use one in the camera?

Basically I understand this much from old film cameras.....

Set film speed....utilize shutter speed control and apeture ring on lens to get correct exposure using the light meter in viewfinder. So how does this translate into the digital world?

Sorry if this is a basic question but I am totally new to this.

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. tam

tam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2010
    Put the camera in Aperture priority, it will then auto-expose for the aperture you set on the lens.

Whereas your old film camera would stop down the aperture only as you take the photo, the mu43 cam can brighten the EVF image to be useable even although the manual lens will be stopped down for composition and exposure. Effectively you'll have DoF preview all the time.

3. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    I use mostly manual focus lenses on my EP2. I use it in "A" for Aperture Preferred Automatic mode.

There is a "zoom-Box" mode, a green rectangle that is most useful for critical focus. The EPL1 has a dedicated button to bring up the magnification, the image in the green box fuills the screen. This allows for very accurate focus.

The settings that seem to agree with me: Focus mode set to Manual Focus; Manual ISO mode; and some others features turned off. "Live Boost", or something like that. I will check the settings when the camera is out next. The external Viewfinder can be set in one of the Menus for color balance and intensity. It is on one of the "gear Selection Menus" on the EP2, probably an equivalent on theEPL1.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    For the Panasonic owners lurking out there, things are generally the same. A few notes:

• You have to switch the menu setting for "Shoot without lens" from the default "off" to "on".
    • You can leave Auto ISO set, but if you do the camera will only use ISO 100.
    • You can shoot with the dial set to "P" and the camera will expose fine. It simply functions as if set to "A".

• Like Like x 1
  5. kstevieh

kstevieh Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2010
    USA, West Virginia
    Thanks for the answers!!!! Cant wait to try it out.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

And by the way, Steve - it's good to see you back around these parts, again, so now let's see what you've been up to!:biggrin:

7. benbammens

benbammens Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2010
    And you will love the MF lenses :) A lot of fun for only 10 bucks :)

8. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Steve, let us know how you get on when your adapter arrives!

Great to see you back :thumbup:

Cheers

Brian

9. abcfob

abcfob New to Mu-43

Aug 5, 2010
    I have a question very much on this topic. When I put the adapter and lens on my E-P2, I don't see anything out of the LCD. Is there another step to do to make it work? For the Panasonics, I see lots of comments to set the setting for "Shoot without lens". But I don't see this for the E-P2

Any help would be greatly appreciated

10. abcfob

abcfob New to Mu-43

Aug 5, 2010
    For the curious, I solved the problem. The E-P2 turns off the image to the lcd if the pin on the lens mount is fully depressed, and the contacts doesnt see a lens. My adapter is a cheap one, so it wasn't made super well. The adapter has a hole where the lens mount pin is, but the hole isn't deep enough.

A little drill action, and now the hole is deep enough such that the lcd stays on, and pictures can be taken with my new adapter+canon fd 50mm. Yay! Hopefully this will help out others. :)

11. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
  12. abcfob

abcfob New to Mu-43

Aug 5, 2010
  13. ASA 32

ASA 32 Mu-43 Regular

I had the same question; I just didn't get it until I had the camera and adapter in my eager hands....