Please explain Lumix camera models...

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by soulofoto, Mar 29, 2012.

1. soulofoto

soulofoto Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2012

I am new here and patiently waiting for the new Oly....but I am also looking at the Lumix line in case I can;t get that new OM-D. I look at the Panasonic web site and cannot find a good breakdown of the different Lumix lines and what the differences are. Can anybody link to some info or tell me the diff for example the G, GX, GH, GF lines? Thanks!
  2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I wish Panasonic could see this question.....too many models equals too much confusion. very roughly and oversimplified and incomplete..... GF- compact. GX - premium compact. G- similar to the GF line, but with built-in viewfinder. GH - the big kahuna....the whole echilada...everything that fits (until they start another premium line) and in a slightly bigger body with built-in viewfinder

There's a lot more to it than that, but that's the short version.
  3. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
  4. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    G - DSLR Like, except for the G3 which is the bastard stepchild of Micro-4/3. Think "mid-level."

GX - Latest and greatest compact. If it has an "X" in it, it costs more! I believe they intend for the X line to be higher end compact. We shall see.

GH - The top dog. Best for Video. DSLR-like, full manual controls.

GF - Consumer level, as small as possible. Many cute colors and less buttons. Still nice cameras.

It took me a while to learn it too.
  5. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I actually think the Panny side is more clear than the Oly side at the moment.
  6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The G1 was the first Lumix Micro Four-Thirds body, which was designed like a mini-DSLR with built-in electronic viewfinder and DSLR styling. The GH1 was added as a higher-end camera, still following the mini-DSLR style with built-in EVF but of higher grade and adding video capabilities. Of course, all the cameras now have video capabilities, but the GH line still has the best. Then Olympus came out with the Digital PEN in a compact, boxy rangefinder style with no built-in EVF (originally with no EVF option at all, but that didn't last long). Panasonic responded to that with the GF-1, of similar style but adding a pop-up flash and accessory EVF through a new accessory port. That accessory EVF was then added to the Olympus E-P2 (but with much higher resolution!) and the pop-up flash to the Olympus E-PL1.

Eventually, the GF-line started to change and "de-volve" into a smaller, more stripped down form creating the current extra-tiny GF-3 with no accessory EVF, no hotshoe, and no dials. However, this now left no upgrade to the former GF-1 which followed the rangefinder style of the standard Olympus PEN. Thus, the GX-1 line was born to carry on where the GF-1 had started. It is updated with a new line of accessory EVF which is as high-grade as the one for the Olympus PEN, but not cross-compatible with the old EVF of the Panasonic GF-1 and GF-2.

So that's kind of how Panasonic ended up with the models they have, but the current model paths is a super-compact GF line with minimal features, a better featured GX line with accessory EVF, a G series with built-in EVF, then a higher-end GH-series with the best video capabilities better features than the G-series, but also with a built-in EVF.

Of course, I could also break down the Olympus lineup for you if you like as well. ;)
  7. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010

Hey what the...??? You're Olympus info dude...NOT PANASONIC info dude...I am sooooo confused.
  8. soulofoto

soulofoto Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2012
    wow thanks lads...I am in Qatar and I don;t know how long I will have to wait for the e-m5 and the I may jump on a GH to hold me over...