Please explain AF/AE LOCK and AF/AE LOCK HOLD

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Empireme, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    As the title says, I'm a little confused to what it is and even more confused by how to use 'em!

Thanks!

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    AF/AE lock, when held down, forces exposure or focus to stay where it is. Which one depends on what you set it to. Usually and by default, I think AF is half-shutter and AE is the lock button. So just like you can use half-shutter to set focus and then recompose the scene, you can use AE Lock to set exposure and recompose the scene.

HOLD controls whether or not you have to keep the button pressed to maintain AE lock, or if you press to toggle between locked and unlocked.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mookalafalas

Mookalafalas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 22, 2012
    Tainan, Taiwan
    Al
    AE lock is useful when you want to shoot something, say a person, against a bright background, and want to focus and recompose. Say you want your friend to appear at the right of the frame next to an open snowy field in sunlight. Usually, the camera will want to adjust for the brightness, and your friend will be a dark silhouette. You put your light meter to center point and focus on your friend, but when you recompose the shot (to put him on the edge of the frame) the metering will "abandon" it's measurement of his darker skin/clothes etc. and readjust for the snow and light. If you hit exposure lock, however, when metering on your friend, it will keep the metering for him even when you move the camera. Of course now the field and sky will be overexposed, but sometimes that's ok...
    Sorry this is kind of windy! Hope it helps a little...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    It's a useful function and Mookalafalas explained the concept, the only thing.... well with the G3 anyway is you need to assign the Fn1 button to activate the AE / AF lock which is a pain. On Oly kit you can half press the shutter to lock the setting then recompose and the the final exposure or focus (depending on Ae or AF lock) is done when you take the photo.

Paul

5. m43er

m43er Mu-43 Regular

Oct 6, 2011
    I'm using G3 and when I half press to lock focus, the exposure locks too. The metering does not abandon the reading for the focused subject - as long as the half press is held.