Please confirm- Bad SD card or Bad Camera

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by finerflower, Jan 7, 2015.

1. finerflower

finerflower Amin Fangrrl

Dec 11, 2013
    New Jersey (South)
    Holly
    These are images from my G6 and its happening a lot lately. The Jpegs are fine but the many of the raw files have this banding, say 10% of the images that I take. The SD card is Transcend 64 GB SDXC. My workflow is that I shoot images, bring them into lightroom and then format the card in the camera for next time.

What is the best/optimal card to purchase to avoid this again (if it is indeed the SD card and not the camera).

Mushroom. Mushroom-2.

2. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    The simple answer is try another card.

The in depth thought is no way that a card, effectively dumb will write that info (banding) into the file.... this looks like a camera issue, try the card in another camera and try a new card in this camera then call camera support

Cheers

3. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Try copying the files to your computer via a card reader. Thsn examine the suspect file.

--Ken

4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Those kind of lines look to me like the file didn't fully get written, but I agree with Phil that swapping the card is the best test.

Barry

5. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    That's not banding; that's what happens when data in a digital image file becomes corrupted (that block fails then the next one recovers until another failure... hence the start-and-stop nature of it). It's a tell-tale sign that the storage media is failing. It'll happen in the JPEGs too, but since they're smaller, it's statistically more likely to happen in the RAWs.

• Like Like x 3
  6. finerflower

finerflower Amin Fangrrl

Dec 11, 2013
    New Jersey (South)
    Holly
    I was hoping someone would say that its the media and not the cam. I've only had the camera a little over a year. The 64GB card I am suspect of. Over the summer when I posted about this before, another member pointed me to a card formatter from the interwebs. I think that fixed it for a little while. I just ordered a new 32GB card. I rarely fill up the cards and I don't shoot video hardly at all. Hopefully, I can get this all behind me. So annoying.

7. finerflower

finerflower Amin Fangrrl

Dec 11, 2013
    New Jersey (South)
    Holly
    I am going to try this also. Dang 64GB cards cost enough, then they fail after a few months of use. :mad:

8. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Many carry a warranty from the manufacturer. What brand card did you buy?

--Ken

9. finerflower

finerflower Amin Fangrrl

Dec 11, 2013
    New Jersey (South)
    Holly
    Transcend 64 GB SDXC

10. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    It appears that they have an RMA/warranty page on their web site. It may be worth contacting them as 64MB cards are usually not that cheap, and they should last quite some time.

Good luck,

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  11. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Formatting an error-ridden card might salvage the problem for a bit, but it doesn't actually fix it in most instances. You're better to take the failing areas of the card out of service by using a utility that will test it and mark the sketchy sectors as bad. Given your description of never filling the card up and not taking video, four 16-gigabyte cards might serve you better.

• Like Like x 1
  12. finerflower

finerflower Amin Fangrrl

Dec 11, 2013
    New Jersey (South)
    Holly
    It was the card. I bought a Sony card to replace the bad transcends and saw no errors on any of the jpegs or the raw files.

Easy peasy.