Please advise me on telephoto zooms

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I mean that the length of the lens remains the same when focusing or zooming. Most lenses expand on zoom at least, sometimes to nearly twice the minimum length. The Panasonic 45-175, for example, is constant length, while the Panasonic 45-200 lengthens substantially on zoom (giving rise, at least in England, to no end of amusing double-entendre jokes, by the way).
Ah, gotcha. Internal focusing and zoom, no telescoping while using.

ianpiper

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Ian Piper
That's what I feared. I'll wait and think further. Thanks,

Ian.
--
With the current price promotion on Olympus lenses the 40-150 f2.8 Pro is closer to my reach. Before I succumb to GAS does anyone have any direct experience of using this lens that they can share?

Baenwort

Mu-43 Regular
I love mine. You can see examples over at https://www.mu-43.com/threads/olympus-40-150mm-f-2-8-pro-image-thread.70082/

The one advice I would give is to use extra glue on the joint of the metal ring and plastic body of the telescoping hood. This is a weak spot that fails on many of us. The fix is simple if you don't lose pieces when it comes apart. I recommend that if you choose to keep it you preemptively add some extra glue to prevent the failure. It lasted 3 months on the original glue but hasn't come apart since I reinforced it. Others report the same thing.

Aristophanes

Mu-43 Top Veteran
With the current price promotion on Olympus lenses the 40-150 f2.8 Pro is closer to my reach. Before I succumb to GAS does anyone have any direct experience of using this lens that they can share?
I live by this lens. It’s awesome.
Check my images posted here.
I use it with the TC1.4 about 1/3 of shots.

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
The 40-150 Pro is sharp, contrasty and has excellent color transmission. I haul the 12-100mm f4 when I'm not planning on shooting anything but go for the 40-150 when I know I'll need a telephoto zoom. I'm reminded of how good a lens it is every time I look at the results from it.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Busy Traffic Patrols This Weekend by Graham Moore, on Flickr

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
Keep in mind too there's used. I found mine in a local shop, an open box return, full warranty. They admitted it's not a popular lens, probably a because the focal length has a lot of competition/overlap and the cost. End result was a 'new' lens for $1200.00. I suspect a little effort and patience could yield the same result for others.

Fuzzdog

Mu-43 Regular

I shot Fuji for a while, and had the 55-200. Now I'm back to M43, I have the Oly 40-150 Pro and I can say that if you liked the 55-200, you'll absolutely love the 40-150. Sharp, compact (for what it is!) weather sealed, immensely useful short minimum focus distance and works incredibly well with the 1.4 teleconverter. Picked mine up used in excellent condition for £550, there are some real bargains out there.

Just watch for the hood, and either learn to love picking up tiny ball bearings from under furniture or sort out a more robust plastic replacement. :biggrin:

Real Name
Simon
I shot Fuji for a while, and had the 55-200. Now I'm back to M43, I have the Oly 40-150 Pro and I can say that if you liked the 55-200, you'll absolutely love the 40-150. Sharp, compact (for what it is!) weather sealed, immensely useful short minimum focus distance and works incredibly well with the 1.4 teleconverter. Picked mine up used in excellent condition for £550, there are some real bargains out there.

Just watch for the hood, and either learn to love picking up tiny ball bearings from under furniture or sort out a more robust plastic replacement. :biggrin:
And now even more versatile with the 2.0 teleconverter :biggrin::biggrin:

Fuzzdog

Mu-43 Regular
And now even more versatile with the 2.0 teleconverter :biggrin::biggrin:
I have heard good things about it, and I will no doubt be picking one of those up as soon as I can find a used one. Of course, that requires someone actually selling one, so probably won't be for a while. 😛 :D

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
Or just quit using the hood. I haven't used my hood in a couple of years (never had any functional or breakage problems with it) because it's bulky and doesn't provide full sun protection for anything but the 40mm focal length. BTW I'm not out to reignite the hood vs. no hood debate but I shoot without it all the time and never have any flare issues. Olympus lens coatings are phenomenally good.

Baenwort

Mu-43 Regular
Or just quit using the hood. I haven't used my hood in a couple of years (never had any functional or breakage problems with it) because it's bulky and doesn't provide full sun protection for anything but the 40mm focal length. BTW I'm not out to reignite the hood vs. no hood debate but I shoot without it all the time and never have any flare issues. Olympus lens coatings are phenomenally good.
Your comment about the focal length caused me to recall that there used to be a site that would calculate or give you the equation to use to know the height of the cylinder you needed for a given focal length.

It was a simple calculated value as it didn't plot petals or anything based upon sensor size and shape. Just the distance from the end of the front element to end of a cylinder that would fully shade a given focal length and front element diameter.

Anyone else remember it or know the formula?

Fuzzdog

Mu-43 Regular
I'd agree with the quality of the coatings - I've shot without a hood on the 40-150 and it really makes very little difference. However, I always shoot with a hood on any lens if I can, as they do provide me with a) a little more protection for the front element if I clonk the lens on something, and b) a valuable couple of inches of distance to the front element when a dog licks my lens. You'd be surprised how often that happens - it may be weatherproof, but getting dogspit off glass is never as easy as it should be! :biggrin: 😛

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom