1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Please advise me on focal length.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by gdourado, Jun 15, 2012.

1. gdourado

gdourado Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2012
    Lisbon - Portugal
    Hello,

How are you?
    I'm searching for a tele-zoom for my m43 kit.
    The main goal is to do a bit of plane spotting.
    The secondary goals is to do some bit of wildlife shooting, bird watching, a bit of motorsports and all that...

I have my eye set on the Panasonic 100-300. But I am afraid that for somethings, especially the plane spotting, the 100mm might be too much...

So today I went to the airport with me E-PL2 and kit lens and took some pictures with the lens at 42mm.

These are the results:

cXZgh.

e5T9V.

rLXGL.

oCY5o.

These images are straight out of the camera with no cropping and no editing what so ever. Not t very good or artistic images, but just for illustration purposes.

On the last two images, I think the 100-300 would do a great job, when the planes are taking of from that runway in that direction.
    But when their are accelerating down the runway, I think the 100mm might be too much and I might not get the whole plane on the frame...

On the other end, would the 200mm of the 45-200 be enough when the plane is already in the air?

I know that for the rest of my purposes, mainly wildlife and birds, the 100-300 would be better for the extra reach, but could I do it good enough with the 45-200?

Hope to hear from you!

Cheers!

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I would think the Lumix 100-300mm would be much better suited to your purposes than the Lumix 45-200mm. 100mm will get you plenty of room to work with. All of your photos using the kit zoom could use significant cropping, even the closest ones. That's at 42mm... so why would you need the 45mm wide end? 100mm will be fine.

That said, why not get the m.Zuiko 75-300mm if you want a broader range, still giving you the 300mm tele end but allowing you a significantly wider 75mm wide end?

• Like Like x 1
  3. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    From your examples, the 100 would have been fine even in the 1st shot. Having too much focal length is just something you have to learn to deal with, especially when you shoot with primes. You just learn to frame differently, be patient, anticipate.

• Like Like x 1