1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Playing with OM-D Dramatic Tone filter

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by heli-mech, Aug 1, 2012.

1. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Think its my favorite art filter although you usually have to reduce the photo down to get rid of the grain/posterization it causes. Took a few down at the harbor today.

• Like Like x 7
  2. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Cleveland
    Matt
    These are cool! I like that filter too- I will set it to bracket the DT filter a lot. Every once in a while that filter will make a random shot that would otherwise be a throwaway into something special.

3. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    That's pretty much what happened here, I was just down checking out the new pier they put in, shots without filter were pretty blah but the dramatic tone just made some work. Could have achieved the same or better in PP starting with the non-filter shots but sometimes its nice to let the camera do the work :smile:

4. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Agree that it's a fun filter, and one of my favorite art filters also. Used it a lot on my E-P3. However, it does get old after a while, so I am hardly using it after I got my E-M5.

I like the first and third shots. The last one causes my OCD to kick in though. I think it needs a little tilt adjustment to straighten the horizon.

5. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    DOH, I had fixed the horizon but I must have undo it when I was playing with the frame... Here's another

7695466780_89f116326c_b.

• Like Like x 1
  6. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I used to love the Sepia filter on my E-PL1 but with E-M5 I'll mostly use the Dramatic Tone. It really gives "something extra" to landscape pics.

7. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    I like the effect and have been trying to reproduce it (from a camera that doesn't have this filter).

Anyone know what the components are, I'm guessing higher contrast, deepening of shadows and highlights, some desaturation ?

8. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    I read somewhere that it was possible to use two filters together with some types but I can't find anywhere that tells me how.

9. incabloc

incabloc Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Nice pictures! I haven't taken any pictures with the Dramatic Tone filter yet. Will give it a try soon.

10. justin4192

justin4192 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Fairfax, VA, USA
    When I got my E-PM1 last year, I got hooked with that filter as well. I agree that sometimes it gets old and some scenes it is too much. Then there are some scenes that it is just such a perfect fit, especially when I was down in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Urban environments and grafiti can really pop with this filter. I learned with my E-M5 that you can change the dramatic tone to black and white (probably same with E-PM1 and others) and this can make for some amazing photos as well.

• Like Like x 1
  11. justin4192

justin4192 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Fairfax, VA, USA
    BTW, nice photos. I like the first one the best with the composition and seeing the boats in the harbor. I'm big into sailing, so I love scenes at the water.

12. Azimuth

Azimuth Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    Thornbury, Victoria
    Try the Art Bracket setting at the bottom of the Art Filters menu.

13. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    I just discovered this filter.I like it turned all the way to black and white.

7727285404_d60afd4010_b.
    COBRA by spinyman, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  14. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I tend to like it best for B&W shots - it can be a lot of fun. :biggrin: