Playing with extension tubes

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by RobWatson, Feb 27, 2013.

1. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Got some extension tubes mostly 'cause I want to close focus (closer than 1 meter) with my Nikon Series E 100mm F2.8 ... gonna be fun.

500px / Untitled photo by Rob Watson

Tubes are kind of wobbly. The lens locking mechanism is very hard to operate. About the quality I expect for $20.

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I've got (or should I say, had) the same set. The little lens release pin broke off mine after about of month of pretty light use, so be gentle and don't expect much.

3. Low-fi

Low-fi New to Mu-43

Feb 25, 2013
    California
    For what it's worth, I spent the better part of a day playing around with cheap macro options for my Minolta lenses, including extension tubes, reverse adapters, and coupling ringsā€”and for the most part, the latter two options seemed to produce better results than the extension tubes. It's possible that this was due to my particular choice of extension amount vs. focal length, or some other factor, but I definitely found those shots to have some issues such as white haze in the center of the image, low contrast, and so on. If not for my recent purchase of a dedicated macro lens, I'd probably still be reaching more for the reverse lens options than the tubes. But definitely fun (and affordable) to experiment with all of these options!

4. Rockinggoose

Rockinggoose Mu-43 Regular

5. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    I have one and a Teleplus/Vivitar 2x focusing macro extension. The macro extension is much easier to focus and use.
    I mount the OM 50mm and get 1:1 macro.

6. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have other lenses I plan to use that cannot fit a 52mm thread - extension tubes work for way more lenses! My 85mm f1.8 has 58mm threads ... not to mention too many years of seeing too many crappy close-up lenses have soured me on them. My glass is good so why stick even more glass in front of it?!

7. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I bought a cheap set of extension tubes for my OM lenses but never had much luck. Didn't seem to want to lock-in properly.

I have enjoyed using a reversal lens adapter to mount my OM 28mm 3.5 backwards for crude macro photography. It gets you quite close..

8. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    IMHO extension tubes have advantages: no glass, multiple length combinations... they are cheaper than $20 too.

9. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Why not get some native micro 4/3 auto extension tubes? I bought these ones (from another seller in Hong Kong, but these are even in the US so they'll arrive quicker - I've bought from this seller just recently actually and they shipped quick) for about $30, they are just over $25 now - there are already a few threads discussing them, but in a nutshell they work great, though AF is kind of useless at such close focus!

Great DG Extension Tube Set MK P AF3B for Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera | eBay

No need to spend $179 for the Kenko pair when you can give these a try.

10. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    If those ever give out, give the K-ring set or M2 tube a try. Solid and cheap.
    I use them with a 100E, 50 1.8, and 55 3.5.

11. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Very interesting.
    What lenses do you use them on?

12. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    My wife enjoyed them with the panasonic 45-150 and got some good results - from some other threads here on the forum it sounds like they pair very well with the oly 45mm as well. I tried them with the 20mm and they worked but focus was extremely close, almost touching the front element so not terribly practical. For the cost they are totally worth giving a go I'd say. I'd post some examples but don't have any uploaded online at the moment!

If you want more info there are several threads discussing these types of tubes (or the kenko ones - they are essentially the same, both AF and they are the same lengths) on the forum already if you're willing to do a search!

13. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    That is rediculous for the cost of the Kenko tubes! They've really gone up over the past couple of years. As long as I get auto tubes, I'm happy.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

14. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Have you tried these? Any images you can share? What exif info is saved to the file?

15. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    see my 2nd post 2 above yours.