Playing with Color Efex - a couple of questions

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by WT21, Oct 25, 2011.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Just downloaded a trial of Color Efex. Seems like a nice shortcut for Lightroom. A couple of questions for anyone who's looked at these:

1) It seems to me that, if you want to buy Silver and Color Efex, you might as well get the full package, correct? If so, has anyone ever seen these go one sale, any coupons, other ways to not spend the full $300?

2) Also, when you go to edit in Nik, it gives you the "edit in" dialog box. One of the options is "resolution" defaulted to 240. Is that OK? Do folks set that higher?
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I know there is a mu-43 discount on the package, but I can't find it now on the site. Anyone have this? I think it was something in the neighborhood of 15%. The way I read it was that you needed to purchase a package to get the discount.

I went with the complete collection, because it seemed like a good deal given I wanted to use Color, Silver and HDR. I received a free upgrade to Color 4 when it was released a month later.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    I use these filters all of the time.

I also bought Adobe Creative Efex Collection for around $255. I bought my copy half a week early from the date at which they will give you the Color Efex Pro 4.0 for free. Real bummer there. That said, I have really been using the filters. Other than a glass density filter, you can get great effect from these software filters. I also own Define 2.0 and Viveza 2. They each have a purpose and Nik has really good videos online on how to use them. Moose Peterson the wild life photographer says that he almost never issues a photograph that he hasn't used Viveza on. I went to our local Renaissance Festival and took almost 600 shots at the festival. I thined that down to 103 all of which have had either Color Efex Pro or Viveza work done to them.

I use them as a plug in for LR3 and find that it is so much easier than using layers. Moose Peterson said that he never spends more than two minutes at PP and I don't do a lot more than that my self. Most often all I do is open the file in the filter, look at what it did when it opened it, then save the file and go to the next one. Same with the Define 2.0, most of the work is done by just opening the file.

again if you look at my site, all of those shots of the Renaissance Festival were P.P. with these filters.

Images for books, magazines and calendars | photosbypike