Playing in the necropolis today...

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
I like graveyards from the long past. This necropolis looks as though it's very old...and sadly parts have followed their guests into decay... B & W definitely looks good, but I really like that hint of color on the third...not sure how you do that, but it looks good and I think adds to the visual depth.

Thanks Peter - for the photos and for reminding me of all the history that lies within these places.

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Thanks guys. My processing is pretty simple and usually done in Picasa.

The hint of colour was done simply with Picasa's Focal B&W effect. You can change the centre point and the centre point, size and focus (amount of fading). I don't often use effects trying to keep my photos as close to original as possible but the lighting was bad and the colour shots needed quite a boost of saturation. This didn't work too well as I shoot jpeg (cannot be bother with RAW although on this occasion it would have helped).

The place is called Rookwood Necropolis and it is in Sydney, Australia. It is largest cemetry in the Southern Hemisphere (and possibly the World) at 700 acres and about 1,000,000 burials. Over 80 different religous and cultural groups use the cemetry and it has been going since the 1860s.

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
One of the locals...

cstevens

Mu-43 Veteran
Great set, these places are wonderful for photography as long as your respectful. I tend never to shoot graves where they are likely to have living relatives.

I shot a long forgotten cemetary recently here - https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=1539 and plan to return shortly to document some more.

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
We went as part of a small group (around 10 of us but we split up into smaller groups of 3 or so) and had prior permission of the Rookwood Necropolis Trust. We didn't go near any services and concentrated on the old sections of the cemetry.

Rich M

Mu-43 Veteran
Great shots Peter.....I really like the first one. It has a great set of midtone values in there that give it a lot of range.

Plus I like the POV you choose....I don't think it could be any better.

R

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom