1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Playing in the necropolis today...

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by PeterB666, Mar 27, 2010.

1. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
  2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

The City of the Dead indeed. B&W is perfect here.

3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I like graveyards from the long past. This necropolis looks as though it's very old...and sadly parts have followed their guests into decay... B & W definitely looks good, but I really like that hint of color on the third...not sure how you do that, but it looks good and I think adds to the visual depth.

Thanks Peter - for the photos and for reminding me of all the history that lies within these places.

4. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I've always found B&W best for graveyards. I do like the subtle colorings on the bottom one.

5. PeterB666

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Thanks guys. My processing is pretty simple and usually done in Picasa.

The hint of colour was done simply with Picasa's Focal B&W effect. You can change the centre point and the centre point, size and focus (amount of fading). I don't often use effects trying to keep my photos as close to original as possible but the lighting was bad and the colour shots needed quite a boost of saturation. This didn't work too well as I shoot jpeg (cannot be bother with RAW although on this occasion it would have helped).

The place is called Rookwood Necropolis and it is in Sydney, Australia. It is largest cemetry in the Southern Hemisphere (and possibly the World) at 700 acres and about 1,000,000 burials. Over 80 different religous and cultural groups use the cemetry and it has been going since the 1860s.

• Like Like x 1
  6. PeterB666

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    One of the locals...

4466779094_867eba87c0_o.

• Like Like x 1
  7. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    wonderful set

8. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Great set, these places are wonderful for photography as long as your respectful. I tend never to shoot graves where they are likely to have living relatives.

I shot a long forgotten cemetary recently here - https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=1539 and plan to return shortly to document some more.

9. PeterB666

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    We went as part of a small group (around 10 of us but we split up into smaller groups of 3 or so) and had prior permission of the Rookwood Necropolis Trust. We didn't go near any services and concentrated on the old sections of the cemetry.

10. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2009
    Texas
    Great shots. Reminds me of an old horror movie set! Thanks.

11. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Great shots Peter.....I really like the first one. It has a great set of midtone values in there that give it a lot of range.

Plus I like the POV you choose....I don't think it could be any better.

R