Play It Again Sam

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by StudioHeraBell, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Shot with Lumix GH2, available light, hand held. Edited in CS5, I added the texture later. Cropped to make it a square format.

So what do you think? Does these two shot can go together on a wall?

Blog post about it:

My Photo Ramblings: Play It Again Sam

• Like Like x 4
  2. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    I think the colour in the first one just looks totally out of place if you're looking at them as a set of two, but I detest selective colour anyway, so I'm maybe biased....
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    These are very specific photographs - targeted if you will. I think they are very well made.

The first one is not to my taste, simply because it looks to contrived: I don't get the point. But, it's very well done, and if you like it, it's perfect.

Love the second one. Simple as that - love it.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Hera,

Beautiful work as per usual. I would prefer the second shot as IMHO image number 1 is a little too Hallmark like for me...

The composition as always is absolutely perfect! Your posts are always a pleasure..

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    There it is - much more articulate than my clumsy comment.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I like both very much, though they seem to be different in how I look at them.

The one on the left they eyes are drawn right to the flowers, not only because of the color but the edges are darker and have fewer scratches.

The one on the right draws me more to the whole picture as it is more evenly lit. Also there seems to be a glow in the hands as if they were dodged - I don't know if that was intended or not.

I think they would go well in the same room, but not sure side by side.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Please keep them coming, I mean your comments. They are very interesting. You have till tuesday night next week to add your input which I value a lot. I'll tell you why after.
  8. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I think I am generally in agreement with the other commenst so far. The context of the second image is clear, but in the first one I don't really know what I'm looking at. I mean, I know WHAT I'm looking at, I just don't know why I'm looking at it.

What happens next tuesday? Do we all go into the draw to win a 50" LED TV? Hope I win!
  9. These images were created for a music producer in Germany for an upcoming CD that they are producing. The front will have the hands, the back will have the flower shot. The rest I have no idea how it will end up looking. I am not doing the graphic layout of the final CD case.

I got the full ok by e-mail from my agent in Italy this morning when I woke up. It is a go as is.
  10. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010

I love the shots!

Have a couple of amateur comments. Keep in mind, I feel questioning a pro here so maybe it's like asking an engineer why the wheels are not square :smile:

I you put them on the wall I would say the hands should somehow go before the the flowers... In my mind the flowers mean either appreciation or memory...
    The bright band of light reflecting off the piano is not parallel in two shots, and when placed together it's noticeable... separating them a bit I thought... Was it intentional? Maybe it will be different if there is a space between the pictures.
  11. Thanks for taking the time and commenting. I truly appriciate.

3 weeks ago I was asked by my agent in Italy to go out and shoot two shots. His instructions were it had to be with a piano, close up, one had to have hands playing it, a man's preferably, the other one had to have flowers, subtile, no roses. It had to have the feel of old toned b&w photos. The flowers could use subtile color.

My search took me to this piano. An old one, yes. I used the hands of a photographer friend. Brought some white impatients from the garden.

Maybe the way I presented te shots to you all, made you start wondering if they truly go together?

At a first glance they truly do not belong together. I tottaly agree. However they will go on a CD cover.

I should have told you about the project before hand.

Now, how else would you do it? If you were in my place?

I want to throw a challenge to everyone here. Would you like to explore your possiblities?

The floor is yours. I would love to see your interpretations. To make it easier, I would say, forget about creating an old photo look. So everyone might participate and feel comforable to create the assignment.

Are you ready to show us what youve got?

12. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    In my opinion your shots are perfect for his request.

This CD cover will be great. The question I was considering was "Does these two shot can go together on a wall?"

Frankly, I realize I have no chance of creating anything better (or equal) than what you did. Trying to do the basically same with a little tilt seems to me futile.
    I think you may have misunderstood my critique as non-appreciative of your work. I really do believe your shots are great, and BTW I disagree that color in the 1st one is out of place, I think it fits the picture perfectly.
  13. Hi Zettapixel: I was not offended in any shape or way from your comments. Please, pretty please, do not missunderstand my comments.

I am the one in the wrog. YES! I asked do they go together on a "wall"... You know why? My agent wants prints of both on his office wall. They will be printed on brushed metal.

I am throwing down this contest, not to critique or compare my work to anyone here, but would anyone like to take the challenge and go for it?

Often, we choose a subject and we upload our shots at this forum.

Why not piano, hands/or people and flowers with piano shots?
  14. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    Why not indeed? :smile:
    Maybe I'll try, with a bit of a heavy heart, because, seriously, your shots as a challenge are intimidating...
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Try to ignore my shots. Go for it. Please pretty please.... Everyone is invited. Find a piano, and explore... Or upload old shots from your collection.
  16. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Sorry I didn't see this post earlier!

Agree with many here: wonderful execution and each a beautiful shot on its own. I think being on opposite sides of a cd is fine as well.

However, seeing them side by side I personally find the differing angle of the keyboard, etc, jarring to my eye. Makes me curious to see how a more comparable angle would strike me.

Any one else find the juxtaposition of these angles unsettling in the two shots viewed together?
    • Like Like x 1
  17. if they weren't put in the same frame, and exhibited on a wall side by side would they be still looking odd? I agree with all of you.

I wonder how the two small seperate brushed metal box prints (10"x10" each) will be exhibited on his office wall?

I don't dare to ask him yet. I will request a snap shot of them on his wall. This way I'll see what he has done with them.