1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Plastic hot shoe cover. Do I really need it?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by 180degreeshutter, Oct 22, 2013.

1. 180degreeshutter

180degreeshutter New to Mu-43

Apr 7, 2013
    Thing is, if I'm going 'flash equipped', I'll have my FL-600R with me. I might want to do some remote control flash too. So I'll have to take the whatever-its-called-free-complimentary-flash that came with my EM-5. So I'll have umpteen little bits of plastic to remove from the camera and flash. Hot shoe cover, cover for the accessory socket just under the hot shoe, cover on the FL-LM2. Do I really need to leave those on when I'm not using whichever hole it is? Can't I just take them off, put them in the original packaging (which I always keep anyway), and get them out when I come to sell. I mean, back in the good old days hot shoes never had covers. I'm not covering a civil war or hunting down near to extinction species in the amazon/arctic. How dirty are these things ever going to get?

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Those covers are mostly for weather sealing. The FL-LM2 is also a weather sealing component so if you don't mind the extra volume, you can just leave it on. Alternatively, if you don't care about weather sealing at all, you can leave it all off. It's not just the flash hot shoe either - the lower part of the AP2 has a multitude of data lines and supplies power to the flash so getting that wet/dirty would be very bad. I personally value the weather sealing so I either have the FL-LM2 or the covers on.

3. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    I have thinking about dummy cording the accessory port cover to swivels so that it's near the camera.

4. wjiang

Doesn't that mess with its sealing function?

5. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    I was thinking gluing some cord to the piece and tying it it to swivel.

6. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Strictly speaking, this isn't true. The hot-shoe and AP2 cover are both just hard plastic with nothing in the way or sealing gaskets (unlike, for instance, the battery and card doors) so they're not going to provide any proper weather-sealing.

I've never used the hot-shoe cover on any of my sealed bodies (K20d, K7, E3, EM5) and have never had issues, despite heavy use up in the mountains.

That said, the multitude of contacts in the AP2 port (as mentioned above) makes me think using that cover probably wouldn't hurt to keep a bit of dust out...

7. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    No!

If this was the case, then why does EVERY camera with a hotshoe come with one, weathersealed body or not?

It's for shipping protection.

8. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I've shot in waterfall mist, salt spray and rain for decades sans hotshoe cover and am none the worse for the wear. My EOS 7D has been caught in many tropical downpours here on Oahu and did much better than me. I've only had my Pens in light light and mist and an EVF or OVF is always mounted but I don't think they do much in terms of waterproofing.

9. SFW

SFW Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 6, 2012
    Calgary, Canada
    Stephen F. Winsor
    The plastic hot shoe covers look silly in my opinion. I've used my digital and film cameras in all types of weather and no problems with a "exposed" hot shoe yet.

10. HesterAngelo

HesterAngelo Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 4, 2013
    Fort Worth
    I don't think so.

11. wjiang

I may be wrong about the hot shoe, but Olympus definitely says otherwise about the AP2 port:

"To ensure weatherproofing the following is essential. Ensure that the Accessory Port cover below the hot shoe is in place when not being used to mount accessories. Additionally, the PBH cover on the base of the camera must be properly secured when the Power Battery Holder HLD-6 is not mounted. When the HLD-6 is mounted, ensure it is correctly aligned when mounted on the camera to preserve weatherproof integrity."

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_support_faqs.asp?id=1583#1

12. Mikefellh

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Actually, the AP2 cover on the E-M5 is flexible, not hard plastic.

As well if you look at the back side of the cover you will see an oval built-in "gasket" that surrounds and seals the port when the cover is on!

13. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    If you're not worried about weather sealing but just want to protect the contacts then there are several rubbery, flat hot-shoe covers with a spirit level embedded. Quite handy if you have one of the lower-end cameras that don't include an electronic level.

14. byegad

byegad Mu-43 Rookie

May 10, 2013
    I lost the cover on my E-PM1 very early in my ownership. Actually that's not quite true. I know it is somewhere on the RSPB Saltholme site. I just don't know exactly where! I now use that body for photographing family and the flash kind of lives on the body so it is sealed.

15. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I keep mine on to help prevent the hotshoe from snagging on my clothes, the bag, etc...

16. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    If you have a non-weather sealed Olympus camera, you can leave all covers off if you don't like t the look of them. However, if you have the E-M5 or E-M1, as someone else has already mentioned, the AP2 port cover must be kept on to preserve weather-sealing ability. The hot-shoe cover, on the other hand, is optional...

17. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I did look as that, and I definitely wouldn't consider it a gasket...

18. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    That's why the camera is 'splashproof' but not submersion proof. It can handle surface water with no pressure, but any amount of real water pressure will penetrate the seal. However, as someone who had to send their E-M5 to Olympus for a water-damage repair, I can say that both the AP2 cover and the battery grip port cover on the bottom are required to keep the camera internals dry.

19. Mikefellh

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    THAT is the purpose of the hotshoe cover...why else would EVERY camera come with that cover, even non-weathersealed cameras.

20. Mikefellh

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Wonder if the E-M1 is any different, since it's supposed to be more resilient to weather.