Plastic filter ring damage

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by wjiang, Nov 4, 2015.

1. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sad day... my PL25 got force applied while mounted and somehow the lens cap got pushed weirdly and broke off a 5mm section of filter mount thread.

I'm out of town at the moment so I can't test it, but I suspect the damage might be small enough that filters will still mount okay.

I'm guessing this will kill the resale value, but I doubt it's worth the repair cost unless I actually want to sell it - it will probably cost a fair bit just to get it evaluated right? I bought this used out of warranty so no stores to help me either.

Any wisdom from the community?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  2. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    If the filters mount OK, I'd just contimue to use it at least until I found any impacting the quality of shots it produces.
    Don't bother with the repair cost unless you're considering selling it or find it gives other issues - then start by e-mailing photos of the image for a rough estimate from your repairer of choice, then consider cost/benefit before proceeding.

Several of my photography purchases have been used items with minor cosmetic damage. They work fine & have allowed me to explore kit I wouldn't have been able to justify the expense of otherwise. Others I've been bidding on have sold fo perfectly normal used prices despite the listed issues.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Once something is screwed into the filter mount thread I don't think 5mm of missing circumference will be a big deal. If it is difficult to get a filter thread to start and turn into the broken mount, I'd suggest either mounting a UV filter that you won't take off on a regular basis or, if you don't want extra glass, mount a step-up ring like a 46 --> 49mm or 52mm, then use slightly larger filters, lens cap, etc.

I have bushed all my lenses to 52mm so I only need one size of cap, filter, close-up lens, etc.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. wjiang

Filter does go on and stay on. Turning resistance is now a bit inconsistent though, and starting the turn in is a bit harder as you've suggested might happen. I'll see if it smooths out with more use, I don't use an ND that much anymore with 1/8000s shutter (and soon 1/16000s e-shutter) so I'll probably just live with it.

5. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Things like this never get better they only get worse. I'd get it fixed because the repair will cost you less today than down the road when it gets worse.
    Bobby

6. wjiang

Why would that be? It's a total replacement of the front filter assembly either way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Personally I wouldn't worry about it, maybe clean the threads up with a thread file (it should be 0.75mm pitch) if the mounting filters bothers you however it's only cosmetic.

8. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    You could very well be correct wjiang (and eteless). I was just speculating based on my personal experience with other objects that show damage. It seems with me the damage is never skin deep on whatever it is. But this could just be my bad luck. :doh:
    Bobby