Plant at Sunset

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by fin azvandi, May 3, 2011.

1. Mr Hahn

Mr Hahn Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2010
    SLC, Utah
    Nate
    I really like the shot, I've been getting into photographs of industrial scenes lately. On thing to try, download the free demo of Nik Silver Efex Pro 2, you'll love it. I'm not saying this photo would be better with Silver Efex, I like it exactly the way it is, I'm just telling you about another fun tool if your really starting to get into B&W.

2. I think it looks good. It's cool to push these plug-ins sometimes to get the maximum effect but this is nice and subtle and suits the scene.

3. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I really like the perspective from between the rails.

4. ismunn

ismunn New to Mu-43

May 1, 2011
    Worcestershire, UK
    It just goes to show that B&W images can have so much more impact than colour sometimes. I really like this shot, the rails leading into and around the plant, the building itself. How did you develop this in Aperture?

5. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Honestly I don't remember exactly how I processed this image and I still haven't managed to recreate it, but here's the basic flow.

HDR Efex takes the 3 RAW files and combines them into one image - I think I started with "Realistic (Subtle)" and then made some minor adjustments, maybe chose a different preset for the curves. Then it exports back to Aperture as a large TIFF file.

In Aperture, I'm pretty sure I based the B&W conversion on a preset called "Bright Iron." I have some other B&W presets that I play around with, but I really like the look of this one. Unfortunately, after whatever other adjustments I made to the TIFF in Aperture I exported to a Jpeg and deleted the TIFF to save space - thus deleting any record of the steps I took... :frown:

Someday I'll pick up a copy of Silver Efex, but I'm afraid I'll lose whole days in front of the computer just playing around with images!