1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Plan to get an GM1, lens?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by krixoff, Jan 24, 2014.

1. krixoff

krixoff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 11, 2013
    Perpinya
    Hello,

As i told, i plan to get this great GM1, i tried it many times in shop and i really loved it. High image quality and compacity. Not a surprise anymore.

Now, i have:

-GF1 white with LVF1
    -GF1 grey but LCD glass is broken but still work
    -GX1 with LVF2

and:

-Samyang 7.5/3.5 black
    -Olympus 12/2 silver
    -Panasonic Leica 25/1.4 black
    -Olympus 45/1.8 silver
    -Olympus 75/1.8 silver

My priority:

1-compacity
    2-image quality
    3- decrease number of lens from 5 lens to 3 lens.

And i do:

70% streets
    20% landscapes
    5% portraits
    5% others.

Use of my lens:

7.5/3.5 = 5% (not much but i want to keep it)
    12/2 = 15%
    25/1.4 = 45%
    45/1.8 = 17.5%
    75/1.8 = 17.5%

Pictures:

99% photo web
    1% printed (i did printed four 70x50 in 2013).

I think i have too much lens and bodies. and some i don't use a lot or anymore. I already sold Leica 25/1.4. It was a nice lens but too big for me. The next will be the 75/1.8. It's a great lens but the 45/1.8 will be enough for me and will fit perfect with the Gm1. And when i will have my Gm1 with his 12-32, i will choose what lens i will keeping (12/2 or 12-32). Even if i tried 12-32 before, i think IQ of 12-32 is enough for web photo. And his wide aperture is enough also because i almost take pictures with 12/2 at f/4 or more (very sharp) but the 12-32 is sharp also, less but enough for me and web photo.

I want to keep the samyang 7.5 because i love it and the olympus 45/1.8 for portrait sometimes. i plan to buy an 20mm v2 to replace my 25/1.4. I got it before and i regret it. His size and his image quality. I will wait for reviews of 25/1.8 by Olympus to decide if 25/1.8 or 20/1.7.

What do you think? Thank you for visiting my topic! :thumbup:

2. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    It sounds like you shot a lot with your 25, so yeah, definitely take a good look at the new O25 1.8.

The 20 1.7 is a good idea because it's small and light...but you might find that you end up only using ONE (either the P20 or the O25) and you might sell the other eventually.

3. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    I've had a very similar situation. GF1, GF2, GX1, PL20, P25, PL45.

When my GX1 was stolen I bought the GM1 with the kit P12-32, P20 and O45. So far these 3 lenses I feel is all I need right now. I've sold off my PL25 & PL45.

I'm considering the new O25 1.8 but so far I think the P20 is a better choice in this situation if "compactness" is a concern. Here is why: If shooting outdoors bright light, bring the kit and the O45. If shooting low light, bring P20 and O45 (P20 giving you a slightly wider view than new O25), And if you want to bring only 1 lens and be as compact as possible, just bring the P20.

There are some issues with the GM1 that you may or may not aware of:
    • There is no ISO button, you have to use the Q menu.
    • The electronic shutter should not be used to shoot artificially lit plain walls because it will show banding.
    • The electronic shutter in silent mode isnt "always" silent, this is depending on the light, the lens changes its aperture to show you a live view preview. And when you take the shot the blades switch to the correct aperture thus making a noise. The shutter makes no noise but sometimes the lens does. Not all the time though.
    • Flash sync is only 1/50
    • The P20 is wider then the GM1. I bought a Gariz case to make it more balanced.

Here is a pic:

gm1-a-900.

• Like Like x 1
  4. krixoff

Jul 11, 2013
    Perpinya
    Thank you very much for yours answers.

I saw your picture before and i loved it ;)

No ISO button like all others Panasonic bodies? i did not even notice it, thank you! When i tried the Gm1, i loved the quick menu like GF1 and was changed in GX1, i hated it.

What function did you set up on Fn1 or maybe you kept wifi fonction on.

Another question, what do you think about 12mm focal on the 12-32 (i forgot to check 12-32 images topic here, i will check 12-32 group in FlickR also). Because i dont know what to do. To sell or to keep Olympus 12/2 and i buy Gm1 without 12-32. I really like 12-32, it's very compact and wider than olds zooms kit. And if i sell Olympus 12/2, then i can buy 20/1.7 or 25/1.8 olympus when it will be reviewed, then i could choose what's the better.

5. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    The ISO button on the GF1 and GX1 was the "Up" directional button. Now if you press the up directional it swaps between shutter speed and aperture in manual modes and compensation in other modes. Not a huge deal cause there is a Q menu.

I left the function button as wifi because I actually use it a lot! Both as a remote and to transfer pictures to my iPhone. One issue I found when transferring pics to the iPhone is that the jpgs that are sent to the iPhone are small in size. Smaller then the photos I take with the iPhone itself. They also seems to be darker and underexposed then the preview I see on the GM1 preview screen. I could be wrong though, need to test it out again.

I like the kit. I dont usually like to use kit lenses. I'm not sure the GM1 comes in body only. I like it because it goes down to 12mm. I find it sharp and very usable even tho at 12mm it is f3.5. I never had the O12 so I have nothing really to compare it to.

6. krixoff

Jul 11, 2013
    Perpinya
    Ha yes i remember, it's like GF5 i got before, no ISO button.

I agree with you, i was happy that the quick menu like GF1 (and removed by a new quick menu that i hate on GX1) and its so easy to set up the GM1 with.

Honestly, it's very rare i shoot under f/4 with my olympus 12/2 so 12mm of 12-32 at f/3.5 or more should be enough for me. The most important that the 12-32 is sharp (and compact!).