PL7 vs Fuji X-A2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tjdean01, Jan 16, 2015.

1. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    These cameras are very similar in looks, size, price, and weight: click for side-by-side

The Fuji has an APS-C sensor--better high ISO performance and better subject separation--and a flash.

The Olympus has a better lens selection and 3-axis IBIS.

I don't think either are on my to-buy list--too big for carry-everywhere cameras and too small to be full frame--but they're very close. I'd go for the bigger sensor if I were starting from scratch, I'd think.

2. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    I see they didn't shoot the big lens straight on, makes it look like it's bent upwards from the body and might seem taller than it actually is (but not by much).

3. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I didn't bother to measure pixel-to-pixel, but looks like they pretty much correct on length (f2.8 zooms) - 106mm vs. 84mm or 26% taller than Olympus. And whooping 71% heavier - 382 g vs. 655 g., and Oly f2.8 is THE BIG lens in my book (versus Panasonic version).

4. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Certainly a step up for a body you'd want to be smaller/lighter overall. What's the quality difference like between the 12-40/2.8 and the 16-55/2.8 if anything noteworthy?

5. tjdean01

Feb 20, 2013
  6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd go for the E-PL7 personally. I recently purchased a XE-1 mainly as a cheap mf rig. Picture qualify is good, but the current 16mp sensors for m43 hold their own against current gen aps-c.

7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I have an X-E1 here wearing an f1.7 lens.
    In dim conditions my e-pL7 murders the Fuji simply because of its excellent stabilisation and competent ISO 6400.
    The Fuji seems to need about three stops better high-ISO noise to reduce camera shake and approach similar IQ/sharpness, that's in my few homemade tests.... but this Fuji will not switch to ISO 25600 ;)
    I guess the X-A2 would be similar.
    Smooth photos at high ISO seems not the issue handheld.

Edit: at 6400 noise seems very simllar between X-E1 & e-pL7,
    and I found one test photo where my Fuji beat my e-pL7 due to misfocus,
    but another where the Fuji chose ISO 6400 and the e-pL7 chose ISO 200 in the same light! I can't explain that one.

8. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    comes down to your lens choice

9. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Been down this road, and a bigger sensor on the other side of the fence does not always make the grass greener there.

Fuji is getting better, but there AF and camera function performance is noticeably slower and less accurate at times than the m43 equivalent. I missed a ton of shots when I had the Fuji X-E1 and a series of primes. So frustrating to not have the camera respond, take forever to wake up from sleep, AF lags.

The X-T1 and X100T are much, much better now...but to be honest, m43 does just fine up through ISO 6400 and I can count on one hand the number of times that I needed to go above that on any cameras I've owned.

I'd still to this day, even if starting over would still pick an OM-D over a Fuji - just for the camera performance alone.

10. tjdean01

Feb 20, 2013
    Is the PL7 sensor any better than the Em5 or Pm2?

11. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The E-PL7 sensor is the same as those cameras, but with the newer image processing of the E-M1/10. I shoot my E-M10 and E-PM2 side-by-side. For the most part, I can't tell the two apart.

The only reason I picked up an XE-1 was so I could get a wider FOV with a focal reducer. Honestly I think the differences between APS-C and M43 are not that great and glass will be the bigger deciding factor.

• Like Like x 1
  12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Just to point out, I think the X A2 has a Bayer pattern sensor, unlike the other X-trans sensor Fuji bodies. This may be a consideration in the buying decision for some.

13. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Similar reason here.
    I got an X-E1 simply for a stylish retro body to go behind my favourite old lenses and use more of their image circle than my m4/3rds bodies.

At ISO 6400 I can only tell which image (X-E1 or m4/3rds) is which by the framing and the colour balance, certainly not the noise/smoothness.