1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

PL5 Looks Cleaner than E-M1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dduval, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    I'm not sure if it's me or what, but when I go to compare images at image resource, the studio shot at ISO6400...the PL5 looks cleaner and more defined than the E-M1?? What do you all think? You cant say its too close to call...have to choose one! :biggrin:

Below is just a screen shot for illustration purposes, but feel free to go check them out at the compare images tool...

Screen Shot 2013-09-14 at 6.50.46 AM.

• Like Like x 1
  2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    What's actually significant is that the E-M1 isn't clearly better. (A point I made about these files at Imaging Resource in another thread.) For all the noise about better JPG processing, no anti-alias filter, smart sharpening it's beginning to look like the Emperor's New Clothes. There's a lot of good new things with the E-M1, but basic image quality hasn't changed.

3. MiguelATF

MiguelATF Mu-43 Veteran

the vastly underrated PL5

What's interesting about this post to me is not that the E-M1 isn't great - but rather that the lowly and relatively underrated and underappreciated E-PL5 - is actually a camera capable of incredible detail and dynamic range. It's sort of the forgotten little brother of the E-P5 - but with its tiny, almost semi-pocketable size, especially with a pancake or even the body lens on it - and its fantastic sensor - it's one hell of a nice little camera.

But then, again, a confession is in order: I have one (a PL5) - and I've created some amazing images with it.

• Like Like x 2
  4. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Splitting hairs, really. The E-M1's looks slightly better to me in terms of details and retaining colors. You also have to assume the jpeg engine just works differently. DPreviews comparamoter doesn't have the E-PL5, but it has the E-P5, and in the RAW you can see a slight but marked difference starting at ISO 3200 and increasing as you go up the range. As I noted in another thread, the performance improvements are most notable in the shadows. Still, they are slight, probably no more than the half stop range overall. We'll have to wait on DxO and our own tests!

5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    It was the purchase of an E-PL5 that persuaded me to switch from my 5dii to u43. The IQ at ISO 800 or lower is quite superb. Even at ISO 1600 and 3200, it's quite usable - a fantastic camera.

The fact that the E-M1 doesn't improve on it in any significant way is not a surprise to me.

6. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    It's same generation sensor technology, the only difference are AA filter and PDAF, maybe the new process engine made that half stop.

Olympus please firmware update some features for our beloved EM5, it was a flagship until you bring the new king.

7. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    With so many of the olympus cams having close to the same image quality, it will be interesting to see what happens to the P5's price with the release of the M1. If I was thinking about purchasing the P5 body, heck, I'd go another $400.00 and get the M1. Once you go past a thousand, it is what it is...go big or stay at home.

But for one watching the budget and wanting the same image quality, the PL5 is a tremendous value, especially on the used market...

• Like Like x 1
  8. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    The E-PL5 may be the true reason many people never warmed up to the E-P5 much. It's 95% of the awesomeness in a smaller package and priced at half of it. ;)

9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Yeah, this is about the PL5 being a fine little camera.

10. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I never really bought into the hype of the improved image quality from the E-M1 compared to say the E-M5, E-PL5 or the E-P5. It is the same generation sensor technology after all. Image quality-wise, any of these cameras are good enough for me. I never go past ISO 3200, and rarely past ISO 1600, with the current generation sensor anyway!

What got me excited about the E-M1 is its much improved C-AF ability and the improved AF speed with 4/3 lenses, and base on the video reviews I've seen so far, this is not just hype...

11. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Well, if noise levels haven't been improved(which I do think they have in shadows), at the very least color casts definitely have. Honestly, that probably bothers me more than high noise levels and loss of detail at high ISO. That orange skin, ugh.

12. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I do see a slight improvement in color and detail retention at the higher ISO, but since I only shoot in RAW, I suspect the difference between the two are small in actual usage, but what I am really trying to say is the sensor from the E-PL5 is already good enough for my purpose. It is the on-chip PDAF added to an already excellent sensor that I am truly excited about... :wink:

13. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Do you mean e-pl5 jpegs or raw files? After turning off keep warm color in the menus, I thought the e-pl5 jpegs looked better. I'm not sure why if this can be turned off, it doesn't come turned off by default. Even so, I do like my e-pl5 alot, its the camera I can take just about anywhere.

14. dnightingale

dnightingale Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Darren
    I also see a very very slight advantage in the E-M1 (colour tones / darker areas), though not enough that anyone would notice without studying. I do particularly like the E-M1 green when comparing, though that may just be my screen. Ultimately I don't think the IQ improvements over the pl5 em5 etc. is or will be a major selling point.

15. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Comment of people judging images on an uncalibrated monitor is like listening to a drunk in a bar :rolleyes:

16. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    You got that right!

17. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL

Hang on just a minute here! Is this drunk a male or female?

I have no issue watching...er...I mean listening to drunken females! :drinks::biggrin:

18. n3eg

n3eg Mu-43 Regular

And we're not going to see much change until the OLED sensors come out, so it's all hype for the next few years.

19. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    E-M1 offers some nice features and, probably, a good grip. No doubt it is a good camera. But it's a yawner for me.

The EM5, EP5, and EPL5 are serving me just fine (with a GX7 eagerly anticipated) thus, I have no motivation to pick up an EM1 anytime soon.