PL5 do not recognsied my Lens Pana 100-300

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by wakaster, Jun 8, 2013.

1. wakaster

wakaster New to Mu-43

Jun 8, 2013

Not sure if any have already encouner the issue.

Have a brand new PL5 and just acquired the Pana 100-300 mm lens.
    But when I put the lens on the PL5, it is not recognised. (black screen and no info on lens firmware, and my shutter button is blocked).

When using another lens, all OK

Any got this before?
    (is it the lens which is not working? )

I have tried to see for updating the firmware but it is actually 1.1 and say all fine (the lens do not appear so no info on its firmware either)

Could it be a lens defect (would be an issue as I am living abroad and can barely bring the lens back for exchange under warenty)

Is there a way to re-initialise the firmware of the PL5 without using the tooll (like through the SD-card?)

2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The lens may not be working due to poor electrical contact between the camera and lens. Wipe the contacts on the back of the lens mount with a clean, white cloth. The contacts are gold plated so do not use any abrasives or strong solvents on them. If the camera is working properly with a different lens, there is nothing wrong with the camera.
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    If the screen's blank, then it's probably because the locking pin on the camera's lens mount has not engaged properly with the hole in the lens. Try rotating the barrel of the lens a bit one way and then the other.
  4. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Plus do not touch the lens release button when you mount the lens!
  5. wakaster

wakaster New to Mu-43

Jun 8, 2013
    Thanks for the reply.
    Seems indeed that the blank screen is due to the pin not released completely. (without the lens, pushing on the pin give the same results). If I am not engaging the lens, I can see the image on the LCD screen of the camera.

So for some reason the Pana lens do not exactly match the mounting on the Oly. Great, bravo for compatibility of product. Really disappointing as I have no possibility to exchange or return the lens as I am living in a remote area.

My only option would be now to see if I can 'adjust' the hole in the lens to accept the pin from the camera (no fun touching the lens).

Thanks for your answers anyhow.
  6. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    This has nothing to do with compatibility, maybe more with tolerances. Before you start modding be sure that you have turned the lens as far as possible without touching the lens release button on the camera.