PL45mm/f2,8 -OR- Sigma50mm/f1,4

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by zuzullo, Mar 23, 2011.

1. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

On a GH2, for landscape photography, not film: [looking specifically for something around 100mm]
    I tried the Canon 135mm f/2L on a FF and I loved it! :smile:

PL45
    is 90mm (equiv) and has a DOF equiv. to an f5,6:

is 2x expensive
    is 2 stop slower (an OK bokeh equiv. to f5,6)
    supports MF assist (native)
    supports AF (native)
    weight: 225gr

Sigma is 100mm (equiv) and has a DOF equiv to an f2,8:

is half price (incl. DMW-MA1 adapter)
    is 2 stop faster (fantastic bokeh equiv. to f2,8)
    supports MF assist, crucial on m43! [see the note (*3) on this link HERE]
    supports AF (although maybe slow)
    weight: 505gr

I cant find this combo to try in a shop :( Does anyone know how slow will this GH2+SIGMA combo be?
    Will it be slower then on my 6 years old compact Canon G6?

[some values on this post has been corrected accordingly] THANK you all! :smile:

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    The sigma has an effective DOF of 2.8, not 2.0, but it is still significant.

The PL45 isn't a real fast focusing lens either. So it comes down to whether you have a use for the macro function. I did so that's what I bought. I also think the size of the macro is more in line with the whole m4/3 ideal. But your needs will not be the same as mine. So it's just an opinion.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  3. The Sigma weighs half a kilogram and would most likely be quite slow to focus

• Like Like x 1
  4. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    They are different lenses, the pl is a macro at 1:1 the sig is not. Neither are fast focusing lenses especially with the adapter with the sig. If you are looking for a fast prime, the sig, if you are looking for a macro the pl is very good. One is compact, one the big and heavy. Apples and oranges, it comes down to what you need and want the lens for.

• Like Like x 1
  5. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    landscape you do not want something in the 100mm range it is very tight and can have issues with landscape framing, the sigma 30 1.4 would be a better option with the 2x crop actually for a landscape/portrait lens.

6. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

All my best shoots are done under this focal length :smile:

7. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

I thought the m43 would have an effect of 2stop in terms of DOF!?!

8. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    If it works for you, then it is a good option.

9. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    yup. so f1.4 dof is equal to 2.8

10. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Some have reported very good AF speed for the PL45/2.8 when used in conjunction with the GH2. I've seen some very good results with the PL45/2.8 for portrait as well: GH-2 for reportage - The GetDPI Photography Forums

I do think the price is very steep though. The price will likely increase too. :(

• Like Like x 1
  11. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

I was checking the sigma 30mm f1,4 but it does not seem to support the MF assist. I value that a lot under mirrorless systems.

12. flash

Apr 29, 2010
    Gordon
    It does. 2 stops from 1.4 is 2.8, not 2.0. The range is

1, 1.4, 2.0, 2.8, 4, 5.6 etc..... Multiply the previous number by 1.4.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  13. flash

Apr 29, 2010
    Gordon
    You're kidding, right? Some incredible landscapes are shot with longer focal lengths.

Gordon

• Like Like x 2
  14. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    It does not automatically do it, but you still can set the gh2 to go to mf assist manually.

15. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    Yes some are, but it really depends on what you are shooting. 100mm is really tight if you are shooting a vista or very grandiose subjects.

16. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

Damn, you right! :smile:
    :thumbup:

17. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

Yes, I think my main concern is really how slow does it focus! Panasonic should rate it somehow!

18. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    with the adapter the sigma will be very slow

I have tried the 30 1.4 out at the store.

• Like Like x 1
  19. cucco

cucco Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    I'm inclined to agree.
    I love a good 100mm focal length for landscapes. It seems to offer the best of all worlds. If I can't frame quite right, I either scoot back or, if necessary, stitch.

I can tell you that, if you have a GH2 and you use a lens without the manual focus assist, you can press the control wheel down and it will give you the same function only manually. It works GREAT! In the "GH2 image thread" under the Panasonic forum on this site, I posted about a dozen images using a manual focus Mamiya 55mm 1.4 that were all focused using the manual focus assist and all of the images are tack sharp. (And, by the end of the few hours of shooting, I was very quick at doing manual focus with the lens!)

Cheers-
    Jeremy

• Like Like x 1
  20. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    For typical landscape photography, neither DOF nor autofocus speed are often critical. AF tracking on that tree or mountain is pretty simple :)

So, unless you have some special kind of landscape photos, the downsides of these lenses won't affect you.

As for the PL45, I find it focuses pretty quick, except when switching between "normal" and "macro" distances. Also, the frequent complaints about the price have actually taken care of the price problem as they are regularly available used in the $600 range.

• Like Like x 1