PL45 from O45

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dixeyk, Jul 24, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I briefly considered making the title "Disappointed in PL45" or something similar but I thought that would be just too mean.

I just got my PL45 and...
    <a href="" title="Lovers by dixeyk, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="684" alt="Lovers"></a>

I like it quite a lot. It's a very different beast than the O45. It's much larger (although doesn't feel terribly heavy on camera). It appears to be equally sharp with excellent color. The O45 might be a bit more contrasty but if it is it's not by much. The double switch FOCUS FULL and MEGA OIS is handy but I'm not sure when I wouldn't have it set to FULL FOCUS. The AF is very much like the O45 (hunts a bit) and maybe a touch slower but the ability to get close is really making all the difference in the world for me. I do like the rendering on the PL45 quite a lot. It reminds me of some of my legacy glass.

I also got my PL25 as well and in all honesty I'll probably use that more but I am very pleased with the PL25.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Glad you are getting along with the PL45 well!

I sold mine to fund the O45, as I didn't really do much for macros. I was going through my LR library from last summer, though, and kept running across candids that I really liked that were from the PL45. I think the color and contrast are probably a lot of it, but think the vignette (most of mine we at f2.8) and the crazy sharp center also give it some pixie dust.

I wonder what will be the next Panasonic-Leica release... something wide, or maybe a 45mm portrait with OIS?
  3. m43dex

m43dex Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2011
    IMO the PL45 was a great lens optically... I just sold mine and will truly miss it. I also used it as a portrait lens and it rendered great quality images. But the stars kinda aligned for me... Announcement of 60mm 2.8 Oly macro, a great deal on a Oly 45mm 1.8 so I sold it before the Oly release. I now anxiously await the release of the 60mm and hope for slightly less hunting on AF although the extra distance was still desired.
  4. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I can totally appreciate someone selling it for an O45 (or something else). Cost is a big reason and if you don't want or need macro I can see the PL45 seeming a bit extravagant. I'm anxious to try it out in non macro mode. I'm not a big user of that 90mm FL but on occasion I do and the PL45 will probably be good enough.
  5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Turning off the full focus is useful when you are not doing anything approaching macro because it limits the travel of the focus. It's not so obvious on an internal focusing lens (like the PL45) just how much of the focus travel is taken up by the last 20-odd cm approaching minimum focusing distance.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Pennington

Pennington Mu-43 Regular

My P45 just got here today, so I haven't had a chance to really use it yet. But I'm expecting good things from it based on what I've heard, plus how much I love my P25. I had the O45 and just couldn't love it - thought I was done when I got rid of it, but I need something longer than the 25mm, so this is it. (Well, at least until my 75mm shows up!)

I definitely don't mind that the P45 is a bit larger - I always felt like the O45 was so small that I might break it just getting it on the camera. And it will be fun to have a true native macro lens for the first time.
  7. las Palm as

las Palm as Mu-43 Regular

i love my panaleica for macros and portraits , i sold oly 45.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Guess what?
    You get a hood & carrying case with it! :smile:

I love mine also :cool:
  9. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Yeah, the PL45 and PL25 arrived within an hour of one another and now I flush with hoods and pouches. :eek:
  10. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I can see that.
  11. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    I really love mine. Although I have other good lenses I think this one gets the most use. It also takes good portraits and good for snaps on limit focus.

12. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    Nice shot Kevin! Glad you're liking it so far. I got your O45 today and haven't done much testing yet But so far I like what I've seen. It's such a neat little lens to look at and use as well... Can't say I'm a fan of the plasticky feel but the metal hood does help set it off, and it looks purdy on my OMD.

Keep posting your PL45 shots too!
  13. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Thanks and glad you like the 45. It is a handsome lens and I bet it looks great on the OMD. Enjoy. I chose that hood partly because it WAS metal.
  14. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

But Kevin this wasn't ur fav focal length as u stated earlier and what suddenly changed it?
  15. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    It still isn't but being able to get close means I can use it ways I couldn't use the O45. When then PL45 is set to LIMIT FOCUS (essentially no macro) then I still find it of limited use. That's why I made the comment that I couldn't see why anyone would want to set it that way.

Also I made a typo in my original post it should have read...

I also got my PL25 as well and in all honesty I'll probably use THAT more but I am very pleased with the PL45
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This Panny is a cracker macro lens actually and can serve as portrait lens if u need . I think ability to closely makes it more interesting . Hope to see some more macro shots soon.
  17. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I'm going to stay with the O45 for several reasons, despite the somewhat less robust build quality (it does have a cheap/plastic feel). That P45 is larger, slower and much more expensive. I prefer manual focus for macro, so legacy glass functions very well negating the only real advantage that the P45 has over the O45 (just my opinion). The P45 is a nice lens and the OIS is great for those who don't have IBIS but I prefer the speed and size of the O45. :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  18. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I agree completely, I did a few shpts and its perfectly serviceable as a portrait if I need it but the close focus really opens up possibilities. Now I need to learn how to do macros well...that's both a skill and an art form IMHO.
  19. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Sure is. One thing that I've found particularly challenging with macro is lighting. I hate flash with a passion, but for macro, it sometimes seems like a necessity.

• Like Like x 1
  20. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    The size of the O45 is nice. I'm not too bothered by the speed. I completely understand the price being a barrier. I probably wouldn't have done if there wasn't one for a ridiculously low price here in the Buy/Sell section. In the end I gave up the size, speed of the O45 for the ability to get coser. For me it makes the difference in the FL being something I am comfortable using. Both are excellent lenses.
    • Like Like x 1