PL45 and 75mm comparison

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tkbslc, Aug 17, 2015.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Just got the PL45mm and 75mm lenses this month. Did a photoshoot with my littlest one last night. Absolutely amazed at the sharpness of these primes. 75mm has the magic of the giant aperture, but sharpness wise the PL45 is right there with the 75mm. Impressed at the bokeh of the PL45mm for "only" being f2.8.

Here's a side by side at 50%, PL45 on the left. Color balance has more to do with lighting, so don't judge that. Remember these are heavy crops.
    pl45v75_2.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Congrats on both lenses. If these are both SOOC, then pixel peeping, the 75 seems just a hair (no pun intended) sharper.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. tkbslc

I'd agree with that. These have minor correction from RAW in SilkyPix, but no Photoshop.

here's the non pixel-peeper's view. 100% satisfied here.

20025944673_a04fbe5e05_b. Untitled by The Wiki, on Flickr

20458766278_5c69cc1cda_b. Untitled by The Wiki, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  4. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Couldn't you get away with Sigma 60mm and start saving for kid's college? :biggrin:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. mannukiddo

mannukiddo Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 28, 2013
    India
    That 75 looks so good. As good as that 45 is, the 75 just looks a bit special. I think I will get it sooner than expected.

6. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    I have the 75mm but not the PL45mm, so have no basis for comparison.

I love the 75mm. The way it renders is just beautiful. Sharp, but at the same time making the pictures look so smooth. I love that thing. The lens itself is such a joy to hold and look at and when you see the results, it's just an absolute gem.

If I had to choose a 45mm lens, it would be probably be the Oly 45 since it has a bigger aperture. But, if I really wanted something in that range it's the PL 42.5 f1.2.

7. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I do think it's hard to draw particularly conclusions from these shots because the 75mm has that lovely direct lighting on the side of her face that really makes the image, whereas the flatter lighting in the 45mm shot isn't quite as instantly striking. But even at the reduced res the crispy sharpness of the 75mm is pretty apparent, so I guess that's saying something.

8. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    Just looking at the end results the 75mm is far ahead in my book.

9. tkbslc

I have the 45mm f1.8 up for sale. I like the portraits from the 45mm Macro better. Doesn't make sense on paper, but there you go. I don't have a useful side by side comparison, though, sorry.

I could probably sell both of these lenses and buy just the 42.5mm f1.2, but I like the versatility of both 45/75 focal lengths and macro focusing, too. 75mm f1.8 can isolate like 42.5mm given a little room.

I have the full size RAWs for comparison and "far" is not the adjective that I would use.

Yeah, I didn't really post these up as a scientific lens comparison. TBH, the reviews of the 45mm are not as positive as the 75mm, and everyone assumes its aperture is a dealbreaker. , so it was more to show that it can hold its own.

10. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu

I wasn't comparing sharpness just the overall rendering. Just my opinion. I know there are times where you cant use the 75mm due to space.

11. tkbslc

Yeah, 75mm has a very nice look to it. I fear these comparisons are a bit tainted in this case due to the lighting difference. Didn't really set out to make a comparison when shooting, though.

12. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    I'd want the bigger aperture not so much for subject separation as much as low(er) light abilities.

13. tkbslc

I think 15mm f1.7 or 25mm f1.4 wins for low light, actually, given the SS you can get away with at wider angle. But I guess I can see that.