1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

PL45...after some quality time

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dixeyk, Aug 7, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I replaced my O45 with a PL45 and now that I've spent some quality time with it I find that I like it but I could also probably live without it if need be. As a macro lens it is a lot of fun and I really have no complaints about it IQ wise. It's AF is almost as squirrely as the O45 and getting it to focus correctly in macro mode can take some work but the results are certainly nothing to complain about. I don't miss the extra speed of the O45. As far as I can tell the OIS on the PL45 doesn't do much. The lens is certainly bigger than the O45 but it doesn't feel overly large.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/7736797654/" title="Nostril by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 7736797654_a4c4469f86_b. "1024" height="769" alt="Nostril"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/7736793828/" title="Hope by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 7736793828_ed22fe2c48_b. "1024" height="769" alt="Hope"></a>

I can certainly see why folks would prefer the O45 but for me the ability to get close makes all the difference in the world. It goes from a lens I would rarely if ever use to one that I use fairly often. I do find that I like the way the PL45 renders a bit more than the O45. I do think the images from the O45 seemed a tiny bit sharper but I also felt that they had a somewhat clinical look to them so all things considered I'm happy with the change. I wouldn't say that either is better. The O45 is a great value and if you don't want or need close focusing it seems like a natural choice. If close focusing interests you and the price is something you can live with the PL45 is terrific and because of its macro ability a bit more versatile.

It can also do more typical "portrait" shots too...

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/7736796596/" title="Trooper by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 7736796596_192a004888_b. "769" height="1024" alt="Trooper"></a>

• Like Like x 8
  2. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Here's one that I like. It's not a real macro...this was a little antennae topper on a car. The close focusing ability of the PL45 makes this a lot simpler. Also, the bokeh is pretty dreamy.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/7736795114/" title="Duck...on a Stick by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 7736795114_6b334431d9_b. "769" height="1024" alt="Duck...on a Stick"></a>

• Like Like x 2
  3. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    Lovely shots, I like how this lens renders...

4. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    It is awfully nice. There is something about the look that I find very appealing. Also, these are all straight OOC JPEGs from the GX1 (except of course the B/W of my son which took a trip through Silver Efex Pro2). Definitely an improvement from older Panasonic bodies.

5. mav

mav Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Matt
    Wonderful photos!
    I really want one.

6. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    It is no doubt a good lens. However... for nearly $700 Dollars, I find this lens very hard to justify. I wonder why it hasn't gone down in price, it is not a big seller.

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Very nice shots, Kevin. The slug being impaled by grass looks a bit gruesome :eek:.

I enjoyed this lens quite a bit. The rendering is full of character plus almost no axial CA.

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I loved my PL45 when I had it. I just don't shoot at the FL that much, except every once in a while, so I got two legacy 50mm lenses -- a macro and a 1.4 for like $100 combined. But if I could just have this lens without impact to my gear budget, I'd certainly have it. To me, it's size and carry impact is no different than the PL25.

I agree on its portrait capabilities, too.

Hey Amin, nice avatar photo!

9. michaeln

michaeln Guest

I'm not a real fan of macro shots, but I love the portrait of the little girl!

10. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
    This is the only m4/3 native 1:1 macro lens and many people forget about this main feature when judging it. Any 45mm lens could do similar or better pictures (especially Oly45), but when comes to 1:1 I don't see any alternative ;)

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Thanks, Bill. I took it holding my phone cam at arm's length after working without sleep or shower for about 30h. I meant to use it only for IM with my family, but my brother (who is a mostly lurking member here) said it looked a lot better than my prior avatar, so here it is :smile:.

12. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    That's the hard part for me - I love the Oly45mm but I also like macro shooting. The cost is what stops me . . . Not that the lens isn't worth the money, I simply can't afford it. These shots really make me wish that I could!

13. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    If I hadn't gotten it for a great deal (used) I probably would never have gotten one either. The price is steep and considering the difference in price between the PL45 and the O45 I can see why the O45 is a more popular choice.

• Like Like x 1
  14. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Thanks for the compliment, I really liked how that came out and overall I have been very pleased with the way the lens performs.

BTW that's my son!...I told him what you said and he said he wants to go get a buzz cut tomorrow. LOL. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  15. michaeln

michaeln Guest

Oh crap! Tell the handsome young man I am old and feeble-minded and he should ignore me like most people do.

16. bwidjaja

bwidjaja Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2012
    dixeyk, really appreciate sharing this. I have been thinking about replacing O45 with this one. I certainly like the rendering better; just like PL25 vs P20. However, the price, even used is what I do not think I can justify given how infrequent i do macro. Maybe in the future. In the mean time, I would stick with the trusty OM 50 f3.5 macro...

17. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    No problem, he's always getting that because of his long hair.

18. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I agree 100%. The price is a big barrier and the advantages the lens offers are really not going to be significant to everyone.

19. Pennington

Pennington Mu-43 Regular

I had the same experience with the 45mm lenses that dixeyk had; bought the Oly, couldn't make myself like it, sold it. I found a great deal on a used P45 from B&H and haven't looked back since. It's in my bag most of the time and makes both a great nature/macro lens and a great portrait lens.

For me, some of it is just the difference in how each lens captured the world. The Oly, while technically excellent, just didn't sing for me. The P45 does.

20. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I am very happy with the PL45. I don't think I could go back to the O45 because the close focus ability of the PL45 and the rendering are too important to me. I can appreciate not everyone will agree with me but I don't regret the change. I have never really been a huge fan of that FL but the PL45 is changing that.