1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

PL25mm "rattlesnake" and E-M5 1.2 update

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by David A, Jul 15, 2012.

1. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Was out with the 25mm on my E-M5 today and didn't notice the rattlesnake noise so I tried to generate it by pointing the camera towards the sun then away, to the sky, and anything else I could think of and it simply stayed silent. I never got the rattlesnake as bad with the E-M5 as I do with my E-P3 but I did get it and now nothing today.

Anyone else noticing this?

--------------------

Spoke too soon. Just tried it indoors pointing the camera at a fluorescent light and I got the rattlesnake. Seems my outdoor success was simply good luck with the available light at the time (late afternoon).

2. I find it to be not 100% rattle-proof but much, much better than it was on my E-PL1 and now my E-PM1. Most days it is silent even when trying to make it rattle in the same manner that you describe, yet occasionally I have heard it give a gentle rattle without any real apparent reason.

3. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I noticed this for the first time yesterday with the 25m, but its not too bad.

4. Guerillah

Guerillah Mu-43 Regular

Jun 15, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    David
    Like others I find it to sometimes do it, sometimes not. More often than not, it will not rattlesnake.

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Either mine:

a) Doesn't rattlesnake at all
    b) Or it does but since I don't shoot in total silence, I can't hear it

:smile:

6. ahendarman

ahendarman Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I just got mine from B&H yesterday. Mine rattles randomly. It's loud but I forget all about it when I see the pictures taken with it.

7. rstrader

rstrader Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    In my considered opinion, (which means I'm probably wrong), I have my OM-D on single AF most always because of my subjects, and my 25 hardly ever rattles. It seems a little worse on my E-PL3, but since I have the OM-D the Panny 20 is usually parked on the E-PL3.

It has always sounded to me like it was searching for focus, why would it want to snap it's aperture blades open and shut? Does it think it's a castanet? Does it want to be held between some nice Latin ladies breasts? er... NM