1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

PL25mm "rattlesnake" and E-M5 1.2 update

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by David A, Jul 15, 2012.

1. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Was out with the 25mm on my E-M5 today and didn't notice the rattlesnake noise so I tried to generate it by pointing the camera towards the sun then away, to the sky, and anything else I could think of and it simply stayed silent. I never got the rattlesnake as bad with the E-M5 as I do with my E-P3 but I did get it and now nothing today.

Anyone else noticing this?

--------------------

Spoke too soon. Just tried it indoors pointing the camera at a fluorescent light and I got the rattlesnake. Seems my outdoor success was simply good luck with the available light at the time (late afternoon).

2. I find it to be not 100% rattle-proof but much, much better than it was on my E-PL1 and now my E-PM1. Most days it is silent even when trying to make it rattle in the same manner that you describe, yet occasionally I have heard it give a gentle rattle without any real apparent reason.

3. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I noticed this for the first time yesterday with the 25m, but its not too bad.

4. Guerillah

Guerillah Mu-43 Regular

Jun 15, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    David
    Like others I find it to sometimes do it, sometimes not. More often than not, it will not rattlesnake.

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Either mine:

a) Doesn't rattlesnake at all
    b) Or it does but since I don't shoot in total silence, I can't hear it

:smile:

6. ahendarman

ahendarman Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I just got mine from B&H yesterday. Mine rattles randomly. It's loud but I forget all about it when I see the pictures taken with it.

7. rstrader

rstrader Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Apr 12, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    In my considered opinion, (which means I'm probably wrong), I have my OM-D on single AF most always because of my subjects, and my 25 hardly ever rattles. It seems a little worse on my E-PL3, but since I have the OM-D the Panny 20 is usually parked on the E-PL3.

It has always sounded to me like it was searching for focus, why would it want to snap it's aperture blades open and shut? Does it think it's a castanet? Does it want to be held between some nice Latin ladies breasts? er... NM

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.