PL25mm f/1.4, e-pl1, local car show.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by littleMT, Aug 6, 2012.

1. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    This happened last night, and more testing and getting comfortable withe the 25mm.

My car, ISO250, f/1.4, 1/1250 sec.

1.)
    deso-1.

ISO250, f/1.8, 1/1000 sec.

2.)
    deso-2.

3.)
    deso-3.

4.)
    deso-4.

• Like Like x 15
  2. Weasel_Loader

Weasel_Loader Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2012
    Nice job on the photos. :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    • Like Like x 4
  4. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    wow, still littleMT style but those certainly look better than p20 1.7

5. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    I am having a hard time disagreeing with you, the 25mm nailed some of these shots.

deso-10.

this was shot with the p20mm

deso-12.

the next two shots with the Oly 45mm.

deso-13.

deso-14.

this one came from my Sony A65 with a telephoto 75 -300mm zoom.

des-1.

• Like Like x 3
  6. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Yeah, I thought you might want to say so:rolleyes:, but they still look better to me, and I have been paying attention to the car shots you did, anyway I'm the one who sold the p14 for the pl25 so what do I know:rofl:

7. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    nice... do you do the detailing yourself?

8. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    I am finding great joy in the pl25.

the p14 has been very good to me, I have captured some awesome angles with this lens, if you ever get the chance, re-aquire that 14mm.

I wish I had some of these lens choices on my Sony for the prices I am getting them on the m4/3rds.... the 14mm is a steal of a deal...

9. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    I help my son, he is a advanced detailer and we mainly use Adams Polish products, as my car is featured on their site and in some catalogs.

There are other brands we like, such as Optimum.

10. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I wish I could afford a car hobby! Married and a baby ate all my funds!

• Like Like x 1
  11. pchdeals

pchdeals Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2012
    Perfect shots.

Could you share some info about the postprocessing?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Nice stuff Lucille....the first 3 shots are bang on the money, nicely done....and all 3 of them look like amazing machines.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bang! Those second and third shots really showcase yourself and the lens (first loses points for the random head :smile:). The depth-of-field is not particularly shallow but the cars are clearly defined from the background. Nice work.

• Like Like x 1
  14. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez

I am not great with photoshop, or lightroom.

I of course resize, mess with the tone and contrast, do some noise reduction if needed, and add maybe a touch of sharpening depending on how soft the image might be. I sometimes add brightness or lower brightness.

I just basicly try my best to get the exposure correct while shooting and using the crappy e-pl1 lcd screen.

All my shots are jpg, I have yet to shoot raw with my Olympus cameras.

15. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    Heh, that random head is my knucklehead son....
    If I knew photoshop better, the head could have probably been clone stamped out or something.

16. BigMike

BigMike Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2012
    So what's it like shooting with the PL25 compared to the P20, side from the obvious difference in size/AF speed? If you don't pixel peep, is there a noticeable difference in IQ between them? Which one do you prefer in terms of overall balance and feel when paired with the e-pl1?

17. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez

I love both lenses.

the 20mm is my nightshot goto lens, I love the angles I can get with it.

the 25mm does focus faster, and renders a lovely image.

for overall balanace and feel I would say the smaller pancake 20mm wins, I do think the 25mm wins in IQ, but not by much.

I wouldn't sell one for the other, rather I am fortunate to be able to own both of these gems.

for the price of a 25mm, one could score a 20mm and a 14mm........ and I loves me some 14mm...

18. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Can I just say -- I loooove dropping on your picture posts. As a family man, I don't have the money or time to play with cars, so thanks for the fix!

19. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Ha! I see Jonathan has the same sentiment.

Lucille, there are likely many of us living vicariously through your posts! :2thumbs:

20. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    These shots look great. I like how all the reflections from the parking garage (which could have been really distracting) actually seem to enhance the shots. You've got a great eye. I know you must obviously use a tripod for your night shots, but I'm curious if these were shot with a tripod as well.

I'm really surprised and a little confused by the depth of field on these shots, though. I would've assumed that it would be much narrower at f/1.4.

Taking the first shot, for example, the entire car (as well as the guy standing behind the car to the right) appears to be more or less in focus. I'm estimating that the camera was around 12 feet away from the car. At that distance a DOF calculator tells me that the DOF should be about 3 feet (with the PL25 @ f/1.4). Assuming the focal plane is at or near the front corner of the car, that guy in the background has to be at least 10-12 feet behind the focal plane. :confused: