1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

PL25

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dixeyk, Jul 26, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I got a chance to play with the PL25 today...

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/7648497022/" title="Chrome by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 7648497022_4f4c16b14f_b. "1024" height="769" alt="Chrome"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/7648522094/" title="Hit Me! by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 7648522094_3301915ddd_b. "1024" height="769" alt="Hit Me!"></a>

me like...VERY MUCH. Fast AF, not too terribly huge, absolutely amazing IQ and a real nice combo with the GX1.

• Like Like x 10
  2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Lol..thats faster than we expected Kevin..so PL45 is up for sale already ?????????. I will keep an eye in buy and sell section ..:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
    You dont have GAS KEVIN..u have POLYCAMY AND POLYLENY ..lol
    So when are u gonna buy PL25 ?By the way your GX1 and PL25 took a great pic ( Ist one ) Kevin and I don't think u did play any big role in that pic ..after all its all about lens and camera :wink::wink: hahhahhhha... Anyway I think you would love PL25 more than any other lens because of better low light performance , faster AF and more usable focal length .
    cheers

3. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Now where did I say I was going to sell the PL45? I bought the PL25 about 2 weeks ago and have been waiting for it to arrive. I did a bunch of selling off my m43 gear (cameras and bodies) over the past month and have taken down my kit to a GX1, P14, PL25 and PL45.

I really like the PL25. I thought I would but it's better than I expected. It's a bit larger than the P20 (although not as big as i thought it would be) and I can see that for folks wanting a bit smaller setup might opt to go with t he P20 but to me the IQ and faster AF are worth the gain in size. As to it being my favorite lens...I h ave always preferred the "normal" FL. Typically I have preferred something a bit smaller like the 40 I got from the P20 but it's not a big deal. The fast (quiet on the GX1) AF alone was worth the switch. I can see the PL25 getting lots of use. The PL45 however will also see a good deal of use because of the close focus distance.

The only plans I have to visit the buy sell section are selling off a few legacy lenses that I have duplicates of. Folks might think my buying and selling is crazy but just take a trip over to GetDPI and look at some of the stuff folks are moving over there. I saw a listing where a fellow was "cleaning out his closet" and must have had close to $50K in Leica gear up for sale. I'm an amateur by comparison. :eek:

4. gardengirl13

gardengirl13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 26, 2012
    US
    Nice! I just ordered this lens this morning. I was toying with the idea of going with the 20, but with the banding and the looks of the 25 IQ I decided to go with the 25 and in a few months the 14 pancake for my small prime if I find I need something wider as well.

5. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I was along time P20 user and it's a great lens (and I don't have an OMD so no banding issues for me) but I have to say I was pretty blown away by the PL25. I shot a buch of stuff and the things that jumped out to me we're the fast and spot on AF (which I expected), the way it renders color and the bokeh. Of course you couldn't tell by either of my posts :rofl:. I'll try and get some better stuff today.

6. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    It would be interesting to see photos of the sane scene (and framing) shot with both P20 and P25. In my experience the rendering is surprisingly similar including the bokeh). It's just that with Panny 20 one has to shoot closer to achieve similar effect which sometimes introduce perspective distortions. True that color is richer with PL25 (in certain situations) but not to a degree that can't be improved in LR w/Panny 20. Sharpness is very similar, PL25 looking sharper at f3.5 at a pixel level. This is with 12MP sensor, I wonder if the difference is more obvious with higher resolution 16MP sensors. If it is, the PL25 might be a better long term investment (in 5 years we'll have 30MP m43 cams).
    I really think that the main advantage of PL25 is AF speed which is far more dramatic and noticeable improvement than IQ. E.g.,for kids, PL25 is a no brainer, IMO.

7. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I would agree I don't think the performance of the P20 is that different IQ wise. Unfortunately I don't have the P20 anymore (sold it to help fund the PL25). The difference in AF however is significant and the colors straight OOC do appear richer. I think either os a great lens. That said, I am not finding myself missing the P20 at all.

8. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I am keeping both for now as I found that PL25 is not a substitute to P20. It's not just the size and weight but close focusing ablility. P25 works best for indoor portraits especially in low light. Oly 45 is way too long for most typical indoor shots while P20 indtroduces too many facial distortions.

9. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I think this is spot on! I have been using the PL25 as my lens cap for a long time because of the exact reasons, and I don't find myself missing the P20 at all. I tried going back to the P20 once to see if I missed it, but the answer is a definitive no, mainly due to the slower focus. Having said that, I couldn't bring myself to selling the P20 yet because it was so hard to get my hands on one at the time I was looking for one.

10. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I hadn't noticed the PL25 close focus distance to be that different than the P20 (not saying it isn't just that I hadn't noticed) but I can see that being important.

11. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Nice shots. I am constantly tempted by the PL25 but the price...someday perhaps.

According to Panasonic the closest focusing distance is 20cm for the 20/1.7 and 30cm for the 25/1.4 - with the different fields of view it would be interesting to see a direct comparison of the two lenses at min. distance on the same subject.

12. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I feel the same way. I gotta stop looking at this forum. :wink:

13. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I must say that I didn't switch for any other reason than the desire to switch. The P20 was fine and even the funky AF was not nearly so pronounced on the GX1 as it had been on my E-P1. I just happend to have gone through a purge of equipment (and had a nice full PP account) and it occurred to me that if I sold the P20 that I could afford picking up the PL25 and still have enough to do what I had intended with the proceeds. Now that I have it I'm glad I picked it up, but I'm not sure I would have picked one up otherwise.

I assume the difference in FL accounts for me not noticing the CFD being different.

14. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Yeah, this forum can be a killer that way. It's like being addicted to crack.

15. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm sure crack is cheaper, lol

• Like Like x 3
  16. wingzero

wingzero New to Mu-43

Jun 4, 2012
    Louisiana
    I agree that I need to stop visiting this site. I finally broke down and brought the PL25 three weeks ago when BH had it back in stock.

17. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Now that you mention it... I just traded for the PL25 and have both lenses. I am a light traveler so one is going to go. I decided to do my own evaluation because I have heard more than a few experienced shooters prefer the P20 over the PL25. Please ignore the imperfections in framing. I was using a cheap tabletop tripod and did not want to straighten or crop the images (they were reduced in size for posting).

P20
    P10103761.

PL25
    P10103771.

I slid the tripod backwards until each lens could focus using single spot AF. The P20 grabbed a bigger subject in this test and was considerably closer. More testing to follow.

Lee