1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

PL25 vs. Zuiko 35mm Macro

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by elandel, Nov 2, 2011.

1. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Hi,

I have one question.

I own a zuiko 35 macro and it's a real good lens (very underrated for me). I use it with the adaptor on the epl2.
    My question is: has anyone tried this one and PL25?

Are there many differences in IQ?

I say this because maybe I'll want to buy the PL25 but if there is is no big difference, other than focal lenght then it will not be worthwhile.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    These are two very different lenses. There is a big difference in aperture size, so the Leica will give you much faster lens speed. About 2.5 stops difference. The Leica is not a macro lens though, and will not focus as closely as the Zuiko 35mm. Being made for macro, the 35mm doesn't need the fast lens speed as you will generally require greater DOF instead. The Leica is made for general photography, where the option of a faster aperture can be very useful. The difference in focal length is the third main difference behind those other two mentioned.

3. JCD

JCD Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 10, 2010
    Palermo, Italy
    @elandel: maybe you will get confused with the PL45 macro, since you're talking about 35mm, which is a macro lens?

4. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I'm talking about the zuiko 4/3 35mm 3.5 macro lens.

It's a very good lens and very sharp. As I already said it's very underrated. For me it's a very good lens and for it's cost it's a steal. Slow to autofocus, but deadly on.

5. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I already know those differences and really don't care much. What I should like to know is if someone has made a side by side comparison in IQ: sharpness etc.

If I want a fast lens I have my 20mm which is enough for my needs.:smile:

6. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    Macro lenses will always be slow to autofocus as they usually have a longer focus throw than regular lenses. Zooms and wide angles that claim to be macro lenses may differ, they just have short close focussing distances.

7. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I know that.

What I'm looking for is a comparison in real life use and results if someone owns both or has tried both.:thumbup: