PL25 vs PL45

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by sin77, Feb 3, 2012.

1. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Assuming that PL45 costs 20% more than PL25, which one would you purchase?

Factors to consider:
    - Using a Panasonic G3
    - Focal length is not really an issue
    - PL45 is a macro lens with stabilizer
    - PL25 is so much wider/brighter/faster
    - PL45 is 20% more expensive
  2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I can't get past the "focal length is not really an issue..."

Focal length is always an issue. The two lenses are so different in FOV, that they'll force a different shooting position, which changes perspective and DOF. I think you need to define what you want to DO with the lens first, then the answer should be pretty clear.

Do you want to shoot middle distance, or farther away? Portraits? If so, head and shoulder, or environmental?

Are you likely to use it in situations that require slow shutter speeds?

Do you want to shoot small objects (e.g., macro)?

Is narrow DOF important?

I can tell you which one I would (and did) choose, but unless you shoot just like I do, that might or might not be relevant.
  3. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Those are two very very different lenses. It's somewhat of an odd comparison.

To make any kind of educated suggestion - what do you enjoy shooting? Bugs, people, landscapes, indoor doorknobs, cats?

Focal length matters very much.
  4. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    I am more looking at how cost-features effectiveness may affect our decision.

I am however quite ashamed & immature to say if my PL45 purchase is justified.

I bought this expensive lens partly because I want my wife to carry lighter setup when she shoots macro. But ended up, she's still using a Nikon D300 + 105mm VR macro lens. (Note that 105mm is sometimes too long.) In any case, I would still use the lens myself even though I could have bought a 45mm f1.8 instead.
  5. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Why wouldn't you go with an oly body which has stabilization, and then you can buy any lens based on FOV and cost. This way you only pay for the stabilization feature once, if your worried about cost effectiveness.
  6. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    At the time when I bought the G3, the Olympus sensor seemed to be relatively inferior and some models were having slower or erratic focusing issue when I read about it. I was comparing the G3 to an E-P3 and realised that I don't fancy the form factor and appearance of the E-P3. Morever, G3 was features-packed at a more affordable price. That's how I made that decision. I was even prepared to pay slightly higher premium for OIS lenses over those of Olympus' since Panasonic seems to be doing well in developing a good range of quality lenses.
  7. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Focal length is not an issue? but... 45mm is medium telephoto, it will be 90mm :eek: if you compare with 25mm (50mm focal length)

If you want the best cost-features effectiveness, I say Oly 45mm f1.8.

PL 25mm is too expensive. Aperture isn't an issue for me, since I like street photography. So it's cheaper to buy oly 4/3 adapter + 25mm f2.8 , and it's still fairly small.

PL 45mm is great, if you want to shoot macro, buy nanoha, it's cheaper and has great image quality.
    I mean PL 45mm feature over Oly 45mm is only macro. Since I use EP3, I've chosen Oly 45mm for sure, because I don't need macro and IS.
    For panasonic body, I think PL 45mm is still overcharge. It's like combining a great features (macro+IS) and they say..'okay..f2.8 is enough with this high price'.

I only like Panasonic 14mm and 20mm for fix lenses. The makes sense and they have good image quality.
  8. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Not that simple.. OIS ... Depends also on the body for which its being attached too. Olympus lens without OIS can be a bit of a hard sell for Pana bodies.
  9. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    My thoughts:

-people's ONLY complaint about the PL45 is the price, an issue easily solved by buying pre-owned. At the current $500-600 preowned price, I think it's a helluva deal.
    - I don't see why you would buy a PL25/1.4 instead of a 20/1.7. Huge size and price advantages to the 20; and aperture, image quality, and FOV are too close to call. (IMHO, I think it is HORRIBLE that they focused development resources on this lens instead of other holes in the lineup that were not nearly covered so well as the 20/1.7 does the "fast normal prime")
    • Like Like x 1
  10. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    Agreed. I gave up a 14-150 Olympus to get the PL45 and don't regret it at all. The image quality is superb and the lens has great character (and macro!). I also love the 20mm f/1.7. Those two plus the 7-14 is all I need for a very happy day of shooting.
  11. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Hey guys, I am going to buy a new vehicle and I was wondering if you could help me. Cargo capacity and fuel economy are not an issue, so should I buy a Corvette or a Tundra?
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    These two statements are contradictory. You say focal length doesn't matter, but you list the wide angle of the Summilux to be an advantage.

So obviously your preference is for the wide angle... get the lens which is wider, and also brighter!
  13. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011