PL25 rattle on Panasonic G5

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by griswoldo, Mar 13, 2013.

1. griswoldo

griswoldo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    Just got a new PL25 from Amazon today. I attached it to my G5 and it's rattling like crazy during AF. I thought this was only a problem with Olympus bodies? Anyone else experience rattling with this lens on a Panasonic body?
  2. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    That's unusual, I have the G5 and PL25 and have no issues at all, I have the G3 and GH3 and they are fine too.
    I don't know what to suggest really, if you bought from a local dealer maybe you can try another lens or body and see which is to blame.

3. griswoldo

griswoldo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    Thanks for the reply! I wish there were a local dealer where I could try the lens on another body, but at least Amazon is really good about returns and exchanges. I have a new one on the way and I just have to ship the original back within 30 days. So we'll see how the other one performs.

The rattle wasn't as loud as the videos I've seen of this lens on the OM-D EM-5, but it was still incredibly audible. I dunno, with m43 bodies so cheap nowadays, perhaps I should just pick up an extra GX1 to see what happens ;)
  4. griswoldo

griswoldo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    New lens came today, and no rattle!!
  5. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

If you have stopped the lens down (e.g. F/2.8) the lens will open up to focus before stopping back down again. This is the only sound I hear from the lens, but it's definitely noticeable!
  6. griswoldo

griswoldo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    Yeah, the lens isn't completely silent like the kit 14-42, but the noise my original lens made just wasn't right.

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    I have a G5 and an EPM1. I've never heard anything while using with the G5, but mine definitely rattles on the mini.
  8. griswoldo

griswoldo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    Huh. So you're saying that there's no noise whatsoever with the 25mm on your G5? Because I can hear the focus motor, although there isn't all the clicking and rattling of the original 25mm I received.
  9. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I get a little aperture / focus motor noise ? when pointing from dark to light scenes but that's about it on my G5. I dont take any notice because I had read so many threads about noises from this lens and it doesnt cause me any concern
  10. xxjorelxx

xxjorelxx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    MD, USA
    Im glad im not the only one that noticed this noise. I was just getting ready to research it and see if any others experienced the same thing. I just recieved by PL25 last week and was wondering if this was normal. Though not significant enough to worry me, it is noticable...
    • Like Like x 1