PL25 for video vs P20?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by John M Flores, Oct 3, 2011.

1. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Has anyone used the PL25 F1.4 for video? Can anyone compare it to the 20/F1.7? Besides IQ, I'm particularly interested in AF performance when shooting video.

BTW - rattlesnake is not an issue, since I shoot full manual.

2. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I'm not sure what rattlesnake is, but if you shoot fully manual you probably don't care about AF performance. Having said that, the 20/1.7 by itself is probably not your first choice for video unless you go fully manual - the AF motor is noisy. I don't know about the PL25/1.4 - are you talking about the old one or the new ones?
  3. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Rattlesnake - a clicking sound made by the aperture when opening or closing quickly to changes in light. Happens in modes where the camera is controlling aperture.

20/1.7 - the noise of the AF motor doesn't concern me as I typically record audio off camera or at the very least use a hot-shoe mic. I often shoot interviews with the camera locked down on a tripod and the subject seated, but I've found face detection AF useful if the subjects move back and forth a lot. It's 95% good, with the shots sharper than adapted lenses. I'm wondering if the remaining 5% is user error, technique, or limitations of the 20/1.7, or a combination of the three.

The PL25/1.4 - I'm talking about the M43 version. Wondering if AF performance is improved.

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd presume the 25 1.4 is better. Unlike the 20 1.7, the 20 1.4 can do AF continuous.
  5. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I presume too. I'm just hoping for real-world confirmation before I pull the trigger.

don't blame me, my iPhone sent this
  6. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    I can't speak for the 25 but I wouldn't use the 20 for video.
  7. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I've gotten some great results with the 20. When on a tripod and with the subject seated.

I'm 15 minutes from Unique so I may go
  8. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    My brother regularly borrows my GF1 and 20mm for various video projects. You are right to assume that AF noise won't be an issue, if you're recording audio with off-camera. However you probably wouldn't want to use the AF on the 20mm because it is not at all optimised for video. IMO if you want something to look at all professional, you need to pull the focus yourself. AF hunting can ruin a shot, and you can't get a nice smooth switch of focus from one subject to another using AF. Of course, pulling focus can introducing shake unless you have a fancy follow focus setup... so it's hard to recommend unless we know what you'll be using it for.