PL25 and O45 in poor light

DynaSport

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dan
Since buying my PL25, it has rarely come off my G5 and my O45, which formerly was my favorite lens, has gotten little love. Many of the photos I take are indoors and in poor light, so I figured the PL25 with it's faster aperture and shorter focal length would handle the low light better. But last night I decided to take a couple of photos and see if I had been a bit hasty in relegating the O45 to bag queen.

My wife is crocheting a blanket for our first grandchild, who is due tax day.

Here is what I got. Both with the G5. And both wide open.

O45
<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/69224521@N00/13465274663/player/" width="800" height="600" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

PL25
<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/69224521@N00/13465177275/in/photostream/player/" width="800" height="600" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

The PL25 did allow a lower ISO, but really I think the O45 did just as well or better. Honestly, neither was great, but but the lighting was pretty bad.

vtsteevo

Mu-43 Regular
Looking at these side-by-side, I prefer the PL25. But if you only showed me the one produced by the O45, I would be just as happy.

DL Photo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Dave
The focus point on the 2 pictures is in a different, so different areas in focus on each pictures. However, the PL25 picture is definitely brighter (although a little post adjustments could counter that).

It's a tough life having two great lenses :)

I'd say keep them both.....and use them both. That extra reach when chasing a grandchild with a camera may be just what you need (a little more distance between you and those adventurous baby hands).

Savas K

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I shot the Olympus 45 in abject darkness at Disney''s african safari in Florida. I couldn't believe that I got images. Nothing to write home about, but holy smokes. The EVF didn't deliver anything but blackness, so you pointed in an area and went for it and hope you got something.

p1546841652-4.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

p1546846460-5.jpg

p1546845790-4.jpg

Lawrence A.

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Larry
I've had both lenses, and am very fond of both.. The PL 25 is a bit contrastier, with more micro-contrast, both things that can be raised in post if you want to do so. As a "portrait" lens, the contrast of the 45 is about as high as I would want. On the E-M5, with the IBIS, the 45 usually does not require higher iso in dim light for me.

I think they are both great lenses. My question now is whether to get the PL 25 again, or go for the Olympus 25 f1.8. We'll see. I'd like both.

Latest threads

Top Bottom