1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

PL25 and O45 in poor light

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by DynaSport, Mar 28, 2014.

1. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Since buying my PL25, it has rarely come off my G5 and my O45, which formerly was my favorite lens, has gotten little love. Many of the photos I take are indoors and in poor light, so I figured the PL25 with it's faster aperture and shorter focal length would handle the low light better. But last night I decided to take a couple of photos and see if I had been a bit hasty in relegating the O45 to bag queen.

My wife is crocheting a blanket for our first grandchild, who is due tax day.

Here is what I got. Both with the G5. And both wide open.

O45
    <iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/69224521@N00/13465274663/player/" width="800" height="600" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

PL25
    <iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/69224521@N00/13465177275/in/photostream/player/" width="800" height="600" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

The PL25 did allow a lower ISO, but really I think the O45 did just as well or better. Honestly, neither was great, but but the lighting was pretty bad.

2. vtsteevo

vtsteevo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2012
    Looking at these side-by-side, I prefer the PL25. But if you only showed me the one produced by the O45, I would be just as happy.

• Like Like x 1
  3. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    imo, PL25's deeper DOF makes subject to look better in this particular example.

4. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    The focus point on the 2 pictures is in a different, so different areas in focus on each pictures. However, the PL25 picture is definitely brighter (although a little post adjustments could counter that).

It's a tough life having two great lenses :)

I'd say keep them both.....and use them both. That extra reach when chasing a grandchild with a camera may be just what you need (a little more distance between you and those adventurous baby hands).

• Like Like x 1
  5. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I shot the Olympus 45 in abject darkness at Disney''s african safari in Florida. I couldn't believe that I got images. Nothing to write home about, but holy smokes. The EVF didn't deliver anything but blackness, so you pointed in an area and went for it and hope you got something.

p1546841652-4.

p1546846460-5.

p1546845790-4.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I've had both lenses, and am very fond of both.. The PL 25 is a bit contrastier, with more micro-contrast, both things that can be raised in post if you want to do so. As a "portrait" lens, the contrast of the 45 is about as high as I would want. On the E-M5, with the IBIS, the 45 usually does not require higher iso in dim light for me.

I think they are both great lenses. My question now is whether to get the PL 25 again, or go for the Olympus 25 f1.8. We'll see. I'd like both.